Getting new Fender this week but,?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
First, I am a Fender guy forever, so I am looking at the Fender American Ultra Telecaster - Ultraburst with Rosewood Fingerboard. Saw a thread where some commented about the D neck profile, not in a good way either.
I have owned and sold MANY American Teles over the many decades and I ALWAYS found the necks fatter than any American Strat I have owned, which is many also.
So I would imagine the Modern D is similar? I cannot find a store to play one so anyone have first hand info?
Thanks very much
Stratman68 aka Frank

I almost bought an American Ultra Strat a month or so when the local music shop closed down and was blowing things out.

I've never really played a Fender that the neck really was to my preferences. This one was very nice and not thick.

I couldn't make up my mind and went back later that night to find out that it sold 15 minutes before.

Not sure if it's the same neck, though...

I almost bought an American Ultra Strat a month or so when the local music shop closed down and was blowing things out.

I've never really played a Fender that the neck really was to my preferences. This one was very nice and not thick.

I couldn't make up my mind and went back later that night to find out that it sold 15 minutes before.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, I have my fav Strat an American 2014 60th Anniversary, Dakota Red, Lindy Fralins Blues Specials w/baseplate under bridge pup with channel bound rosewood fingerboard neck which I love. I will never sell this guitar-evert, In fact I want to be buried with it! Extremely rare.

But the Fender Ultra Telecaster, that's the one I

Last edited:
Don´t know if the neck is similar, but I bought an Ultra Luxe Strat in November, and I´m struggling with the neck profile. The shoulders (is that the right word?) at the upper frets are too fat for my short thumb. It´s ok when I´m sitting while playing, but when I´m standing it doesn´t fit me. Was thinking about getting my luthier to work on the neck...love the sounds of the guitar though.

Don´t know if the neck is similar, but I bought an Ultra Luxe Strat in November, and I´m struggling with the neck profile. The shoulders (is that the right word?) at the upper frets are too fat for my short thumb. It´s ok when I´m sitting while playing, but when I´m standing it doesn´t fit me. Was thinking about getting my luthier to work on the neck...love the sounds of the guitar though.
It's NOT the same-One is a MODERN D and the other is an AUGMENTED D . The Modern D is the Ultra-The Lux is the other one.

I must have gotten weird American Telecasters (probably around 12 to 15) in the past 40 years or so. Because the neks were ALWAYS FDATTER tna any strat I have ever played. I have a 60th Anniversary Dakota Red Stratocaster Channel Bound Rosewood and the neck is truly NOT fat.
But all my Teles (like I said always American Standards) were always FAT to me since I have player ONLY American Stratocasters all my my life.

I WANTED a fatter neck profile on a Tele . I have had enough C profile neck guitars for a band of 12.Neck Profiles.jpgNeck Profiles.jpg

Last edited:
thick U time, avri 52 tele or american original 50s.
I wanted the D and I bought it................ As I look at the image I posted above perhaps my previous Teles were a Deep C, as in the image. They definitely were ALWAYS fatter than any Strat I have played. I know some Strats have fatter necks, I have never personally owned one.
Thanks for the input though! Appreciated!

Here you go:
The Augmented "D" neck is a feature of Fender's American Ultra Luxe electric guitar series. It's an updated version of the Modern "D" profile, and is said to feel fuller towards the 12th fret.

You obviously like wide necks-hence Ibanez- Which is cool! I have big hands for a 5'8" guy. With the exception of my first electric, Sears guitar, my electric guitar start was American Fender Strats for around 30 years so I kind of grew into them........

Last edited:
I wanted the D and I bought it................ As I look at the image I posted above perhaps my previous Teles were a Deep C, as in the image. They definitely were ALWAYS fatter than any Strat I have played. I know some Strats have fatter necks, I have never personally owned one.
Thanks for the input though! Appreciated!
The only current deep C teles are american pro and pro ii, maybe some artist models? The standards had the same neck shape as the strats afaik.

My bet is on body contours altering how the guitars in question sit/hang thus making necks feel different. Ive had guitars that were fine sitting down and no bueno standing.

The only current deep C teles are american pro and pro ii, maybe some artist models? The standards had the same neck shape as the strats afaik.

My bet is on body contours altering how the guitars in question sit/hang thus making necks feel different. Ive had guitars that were fine sitting down and no bueno standing.
I have been playing long enough to know the difference in the thickness of the neck, on American Fenders anyway. I play sitting and I play standing-

I did look at the Pro II's but don't like the narrow tall frets (prefer medium jumbo) and I guess I am NOT a traditional or serious tele player because I prefer 6 saddles........I have had heated discussions with some musicians where I live about that.

Here you go:
The Augmented "D" neck is a feature of Fender's American Ultra Luxe electric guitar series. It's an updated version of the Modern "D" profile, and is said to feel fuller towards the 12th fret.
to me the neck feels "fuller" at the first frets like C-shape, towards 12th fret it gets flatter on the backside but the "shoulders" stay the same, like a flat D

Back
Top Bottom