GEQ newbie

Hi,

I just got this amp and am pretty new to concepts like GEQ and being able to manipulate that. I was reading up in the wiki ( EQ-ing - Axe-Fx II Wiki ) regarding it but still was curious about a few things.

The wiki refers to 7 aspects: sub bass, bass, low mids, mids, high mids, treble, presence

When I'm looking at a GEQ in Axe Edit I'm confused as to how to correlate 7 different types of levels with 10 different band sliders. What would each slider be manipulating from left to right? Is there any recommended 10 band GEQ settings around to play with?

The recommended way is to use your ears. Seriously 8)

Those are 7 generalizations. There's everything in between, and these 10 frequency bands will then sligtly overlap those 7 generalizations....

Best way is to have a go. Try boosting and cutting one at a time and see what it does to the sound. I don't usually go more than +-5db for any given frequency but do what you need to do.

Having said that here are a few key thoughts that i use when mixing. These are all really approx frequencies.

100hz - thump
250hz - warmth
400-500hz - mud
2khz - pain
6Khz - harsh/fizz
12k and up - air

Spence

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The wiki refers to 7 aspects: sub bass, bass, low mids, mids, high mids, treble, presence

When I'm looking at a GEQ in Axe Edit I'm confused as to how to correlate 7 different types of levels with 10 different band sliders. What would each slider be manipulating from left to right? Is there any recommended 10 band GEQ settings around to play with?

try thinking of these as being 7 general areas...
no matter if you have a 5 band GEQ or a 32 band GEQ, the 'general areas' are the same..

so the specific bands in a GEQ do not relate to these areas absolutely..
some will be entirely within an area, others will straddle them..

and this is ok... because with EQ, these 'areas' do not have absolute boundaries..
so there's no specific frequency that marks the top of the bass and the bottom of the low mids..

think of it a little like a rainbow where you can definitely see red, orange and yellow...
but they're not divided by sharp lines.. they fade from one colour to the next...

when it comes to making EQ decisions, these areas act as a general listening guide when you're focusing your hearing and making your corrections..

EDIT: they also provide terms which are generally understood when describing EQ needs / problems to others..
"sounds dark, and needs more air"
"sounds nasal / boxy, cut the mids"
"sounds boomy / woolly, cut the bass / sub bass"
"sounds thin / brittle, cut the treble / presence / highs"

and don't forget that this is all subjective...
one man's "smooth and warm" is another's "lacks definition and is woolly"
one man's "bright, cutting and defined" is another's "tinny, thin and brittle"

Last edited:
For bottom Boost 100 Hz
For warmth Boost 250 Hz
For body Boost 500 Hz
For pick or percussion Boost 1-2 K
For "Cut" (solos, lines, etc.) Boost 3-4 K
For "presence" Boost 5 K
For "buzz" (distortion, etc.) Boost 7 K
For clarity and string decay Boost 10 K and up
To remove muddiness Cut 200 Hz
To remove harshness Cut 1-3 K

remember that EQ is a relative thing.. a boost in one band call also be thought of as a cut in the others...

for example, one way to achieve deeper bass is to cut the low mids [somewhere between 300Hz to 500Hz]
it'll sound like you've boosted the bass

Back
Top Bottom