FX8 vs G-Major 2

guitarplayer83

I applogise if this has been discussed. Searched and did not find any specific threads. I am thinking of getting a FX8 as my GM2 is starting to have some issues. How does the FX8 compare to the GM2? I am running the GM2 in the loop of my Soldano SLO. In front of the amp are Korg pitch black, Morley Bad Horsie 2, EXH B9, Boss PS6, MXR Phase 90, TC Vortex flanger, Visual sound liquid chorus, tech 21 midi moose for patch switching on the GM2. Would the FX8 replace those pedals if using the 4 cable method? Just looking for some information before dropping a chunk of change. Thanks.

I had used the GM2 for many years (owned three of them) and then I purchased the G-Force and compared the two units.

I thought the GM2 was slightly better due to the newer effects and a much lower purchase price.

Then I decided I wanted a G-System to replace the GM2 and my Ground Control Pro.

It sounded pretty good and had a lot of potential.

My friend dropped off his FX8 two days after I purchased the brand new G-System for me to try out.

The same night I had put my G-System up for sale and lost about $200 on the sale but the FX8 blew away the G-System for editing capabilities and the tone was amazing so I didn't think twice about losing the $200.

I don't know if it would replace all of those pedals you mentioned since you would need to compare them yourself, but as stated above by Budda, you wouldn't lose any money if you purchased an FX8 then decided to sell it since they are rare to find for sale.

The same night I had put my G-System up for sale and lost about $200 on the sale but the FX8 blew away the G-System for editing capabilities and the tone was amazing so I didn't think twice about losing the $200.
I had a very similar experience:
Korg AX3 (oldie but clever:)
G-System - easy to use, good sound, modest editing, heavy weight!
and finally the FX8 - all you need... ♪♫ ❤♪ ♬

I was in the same boat - I think I have had every effects processor on the face of the planet at some point. The original Rocktron Intellifex blackface, ART SGX 2000 for effects only, Lexicon MPX G2, TC Electronic G Force, G Major I, and G system plus a ton more. Out of all of them, I found the G Major did the best with my Boogie Mark IV.

I picked up the FX8 Mark II used after being an AX8 user for a couple of years, and never looked back. I no longer own a rack after close to having one for +/- 30 years, and have never sounded better. The relays in the FX8 are just icing on the cake. Gone too now are the Voodoo Labs GCX and Ground Control Pro.

The best thing I did with this - I worked with Chris at Redco to build a custom snake for me to do 4CM, in addition to the relay switches for the Mark IV. They were able to make a couple of the lines hum busters, which made my setup silent. He also set up some cables as TRS to two TS for the switching.

Back
Top Bottom