FX8 versus MFC-101 and Axe Owners

BluesRock

Inspired
Aside from G.A.S., why are so many Axe users expressing interest in connecting an FX8 to their Axe unit? Doesn’t the MFC-101 offer greater flexibility and control for half the price?

I would like to add fx8 to my axe rig to be able to run more fx blocks. Axe fx Cpu is getting an issue if you run everything on the highest quality.
Plus i would like to take it to rehearsals where there is an amp.

All the MFC is, is a MIDI foot controller for the Axe. Axe owners are interested in the FX-8 is because it:
A - offers an effects-only backup to hook up to a real amp that they have or might be present at gigs.
B - Offload effects onto another unit to save CPU (really, really complicated presets).
C - is cool. GAS is GAS.

I'm on the list because I consider it an expansion of the Axe II. This new hi-res stuff is suckin' the CPU cycles so I can see grid-lock comin'. Besides, I also still drag amps to gigs sometimes so I want an all-in-one solution for outboard pedal replacement.

I see. Being a traditional player (gear-wise), I failed to account for CPU capacity. Is this a big issue for most Axe owners or primarily for those pushing the limits with respect to the number of effects employed per preset?

(really, really complicated presets).

USMC_Trev: please elaborate.

In my experience, it's only an issue when I set up patches that have every possible effect in the signal chain that I *might* want to use. If I set up more realistic patches that contain the effects I actually need for a given song CPU usage is not an issue for me.

I was thinking of adding the FX8 to get some extra effects. Some of my presets hit the limit, and I'm having to make compromises.

I don't know if the FX8 can be used in place of the MFC though.

edited after I reread your post...

Last edited:
It is possible to save cpu by creating more presets with different effect combinations. But i like to have everything in one or two presets. More presets means more programming levelling and maintaining these presets after every major firmware update. Plus in this case you have to remember which effects are in which presets. You have to really plan and prepare your effects exactly how you will use them. That is something im not crazy about. I am more spontaneous type person. And you would also have to program your midi controller to have the same ias as your preset. And what if you want an effect that you havent programmed to your axe fx and controller? You would need to program both, and it is not something you want to do when you are at rehearsal or soundcheck when your band leader says 'hey this part of a song could use some ring mod.

I think it should be much simpler with fx8 going to axe fx front. I would control axe fx with small LF Mini controller, and i would control my effects with fx8.

That is my justification for wanting FX8 :)

I am thinking of similar a setup but why not controlling the axe also with fx8...or through fx 8 since it has midi out/thru?

It is possible to save cpu by creating more presets with different effect combinations. But i like to have everything in one or two presets. More presets means more programming levelling and maintaining these presets after every major firmware update. Plus in this case you have to remember which effects are in which presets. You have to really plan and prepare your effects exactly how you will use them. That is something im not crazy about. I am more spontaneous type person. And you would also have to program your midi controller to have the same ias as your preset. And what if you want an effect that you havent programmed to your axe fx and controller? You would need to program both, and it is not something you want to do when you are at rehearsal or soundcheck when your band leader says 'hey this part of a song could use some ring mod.

I think it should be much simpler with fx8 going to axe fx front. I would control axe fx with small LF Mini controller, and i would control my effects with fx8.

That is my justification for wanting FX8 :)

Each scene can be programmed to send a Program Change on scene change. Additionally, there are two MIDI blocks (with X/Y) that can be programmed to send Program Change and/or Command Change.

Since I'm a tube amp guy who is unfamiliar with the limitations of the AXE, this thread has been very informative. Thanks, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom