FX8 suggestions

Geronimo

This is my first experience with the Fractal unit and I'm really impressed with this unit. My buddy (who owns an AxFX) talks very highly of Cliff and his small staff. I read the manual twice and I immediately started messing around with the FX8. I told my buddy that there were a couple things that I wished the FX8 had, and he suggested that I make a thread about my suggestions. Here we go:

I currently play in 3 bands. I play in an original band, 70's Funk cover band, and a Rage Against the Machine tribute band. I've named 3 Presets for each band. Example:

Bank: N1
Preset Name: Original Pedalboard

Bank: O1
Preset Name: 70's Funk Pedalboard

Bank P1
Preset Name: RATM Pedalboard

I'll go in a little deeper and have pedal boards for P1, P2, P3, and so forth. Sometimes I'll forget which*scene*is for lead, rhythm, or whatever. Especially playing in 3 different bands, several different pedal boards, and playing anywhere from 60 to 70 different songs from all bands combined.

The only thing I can do for now is write down the Bank/Preset/ make up a "Scene Name" in an Excel spreadsheet, then write it down on my set list when I play live.

1st Suggetion: I know we can't name our scenes. I would like the option to name each SCENE within a preset while I'm in Sticky Scene Select Mode. Also while I'm in Sticky Scene Select Mode I would like to be able to see the name of the SCENE on the screen. Example:

Bank: P1
Preset Name: RATM Pedalboard
S1: "Funk Rhythm"
S2: "Guerrilla Radio Solo"
S3: "Solo"
S4: "Solo with Wah"
S5: "Bulls Scratch Solo"
S6: "Killing in the Name Solo"
S7: "etc,..."
S8: "etc,..."

in scene mode you will be able to read the name of the name of the scene. Click on the scene button, then you'll be able to see the blocks again. That way there will be no guessing or mistakes while switching scenes. sometimes while playing live the house will turn down the lights after each song. sometimes I can't see the name of the song on my set list, and it would be much easier to be able to see the scene name on the screen.

2nd suggestion:

I know there are block limitations per scene. Example: I'm only allowed one Pitch Shift per scene. Is it possible to have more than 1 Pitch Shift per scene without having to use the X/Y switching? I also would want more than 2 delays per scene, or not be limited to 1 to 2 effects per scene in general.

3rd suggestion:

Bishop 5150 stated "I would like to have the option to make buttons 5-8 be presets or scenes then have buttons 1-4 be assignable to control FX blocks so we could turn the FX on and off within a scene". I too would like to this option. Again, I would like to be able name the scenes from buttons 5-8 in this option. :)

4th suggestion:

The default effects order on the CONFIG Page is 1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8, left to right. I would like the option where I can set it to 8<7<6<5<4<3<2<1, right to left. The right to left block order mimics a true live pedal board. I already mentioned this in another thread, and I got a response saying that this was already in the works. :)

Last edited:
I also would want more than 2 delays per scene, or be limited to 1 to 2 effects per scene in general.

Combine Delays with Multi-Delay. You can also use Pitch as a delay.

And regarding two Pitch blocks: don't know your goal but you can use the RingMod for low octaves. Set it to Tracking and experiment with Freq and Freq Mulitplier.

Last edited:
Hi Geronimo,
Here's a thought to one of your issues. to try at least. I have different Banks for my shows, Sideman shows and with 3 different artists. In general no matter what bank i am in and preset Scene 8 is my lead sound even in presets where I take no solos. :) In most presets are set up with the top row variations on the Clean with effects and the bottom row is almost all overdrive sounds with effects. I find it good to have a standard set up in mind. Some I have been using since the late 80's. So i can grab any of my midi controllers or any one else's in an emergency and know where most things are.
Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom