FX8 and Synergy SYN-2 (qty x2)

Daniel Coumans

I’m trying to use the FX8 as a controller for my rack rig with 2 SYN-2s. I’m a MIDI-diot and was wondering if anyone had some detailed instructions for getting the switching to work on all 8 channels using CCs? I’d like to program various scenes and assign footswitches per scene to various channels depending on what I need on that scene for a song.

My thinking is that each SYN-2 would be designated a channel, say 1 and 2. There is a selector on the back of the SYN-2 for this. In the MIDI CC setup I would assign either channel 1 or 2 and then 56-59 for the command of the channel based on the SYN2 manual. What I don’t know is how to make sure the SYN-2 not in use is bypassed. There has to be a way to do this as I’ve seen other with 4 or more SYN-2s in a rack.

Also, because the slave SYN-2 goes through the loop of the Master SYN-2, I wasn’t sure how to connect the FX8 post chain outputs to the setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It seems you need to use program change (PCs) messages, not CCs.

Send the module the desired PC, then:

1. Select the desired module (or bypass) using the SYN-2 front panel SELECT button.

2. Hold the channel select button until the bypass LED flashes. This should take about 3 seconds.

I'm not understanding why CC changes won't work though. I've read the manuals and something curious is happening. This is what I tried to do. I used the CONFIG tab to set the MIDI CC for the Scene to Bypass for MIDI CH2. So basically, when that scene is selected, I am setting my second SYN2 to bypass for that scene. Then in the footswitch blocks, I was trying to set MIDI1 and MIDI2 to two different footswitches for my first SYN2. My idea is I could use a CC on MIDI1 FS to engage Channel A of Module 1 and then use a CC on MIDI2 FS to engage Channel B of Module 1 in the first SYN2 using the CC CH1. The issue is whenever I change the value in MIDI1 FS it automatically changes it in MIDI2 FS to the same thing. So basically, both FS buttons can only do the same thing.

It seems you need to use program change (PCs) messages, not CCs.

Send the module the desired PC, then:

1. Select the desired module (or bypass) using the SYN-2 front panel SELECT button.

2. Hold the channel select button until the bypass LED flashes. This should take about 3 seconds.

Even with PC messages I cannot get this to work. This is what I'm trying to do. I want to have a scene where Button 1 selects Channel A of Module 1 and Button 2 selects Channel B of Module 1. What I'm finding is that there is no conceivable way to do this in a scene. I'm trying to use the FX8 editor to set this up with MIDI FS on FS 1 and FS 2 but any changes I make to the first FS go right to the second FS too. No idea why.

I'm not understanding why CC changes won't work though. I've read the manuals and something curious is happening. This is what I tried to do. I used the CONFIG tab to set the MIDI CC for the Scene to Bypass for MIDI CH2. So basically, when that scene is selected, I am setting my second SYN2 to bypass for that scene. Then in the footswitch blocks, I was trying to set MIDI1 and MIDI2 to two different footswitches for my first SYN2. My idea is I could use a CC on MIDI1 FS to engage Channel A of Module 1 and then use a CC on MIDI2 FS to engage Channel B of Module 1 in the first SYN2 using the CC CH1. The issue is whenever I change the value in MIDI1 FS it automatically changes it in MIDI2 FS to the same thing. So basically, both FS buttons can only do the same thing.

Going further I've tried this. In the CONFIG menu, I set Scene 1 to have my second SYN2 set to bypass on CC Channel 2. Same thing for Scene 2. When I go into the Footswitch area, I try to assign one FS to MIDI. I set MIDI1 to CC Channel 1 and then use X/Y to toggle for module channels A and B in Scene 1. When I go to Scene 2, I try to do the same thing, but use the MIDI1 to CC Channel 1 and toggle module channels A and B on the next module. For some reason, any changes I make to scene 1 copy to scene 2 and vice versa for the MIDI commands. I thought I could send different MIDI commands per scene though it's not working.

Back
Top Bottom