FX 8 help for live shows

aizaz

Hello, I have an FX8, and the guitar I'm using has HSS pickups on a Mexican Stratocaster. Since I don't want to purchase an amp, can you recommend another option for the stage that would allow me to connect my guitar directly to the PA using my FX8? I'm also looking for clean tone rhytmes, some distortion, and solo presets, but I'm really new to this technology, so if anyone already has these presets built, please

also is it ok to buy Strymon Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal ?

The FX8 was purpose built to be used with an amp. I have one and gigged with it for a long time. You could use the Strymon Iridium but it doesn't have an effects loop so everything would be pre or post the iridium. You wouldn't need an IR loader. The strymon has IR's built in.

Honestly, Sell the FX8 and get an AX8 or one of the new Fractal units.

The FX8 was purpose built to be used with an amp. I have one and gigged with it for a long time. You could use the Strymon Iridium but it doesn't have an effects loop so everything would be pre or post the iridium. You wouldn't need an IR loader. The strymon has IR's built in.

Honestly, Sell the FX8 and get an AX8 or one of the new Fractal units.
THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHER

You can use the Iridium with the FX8 to get Pre and Post effects by routing this way:
  • Guitar > FX8 'IN [PRE]' (INSTR)
  • FX8 'OUT [PRE]' L/MONO > Iridium 'IN'
  • Iridium 'OUT L' > FX8 'IN [POST]' L - Set the 'INPUT 2 (POST) MODE' to 'LEFT ONLY' in the FX8 SETUP>AUDIO menu
  • FX8 'OUT [POST] L/R > To Mixer, Monitors or Audio Interface L/R
You will need to configure the FX8 for the number of Pre and Post blocks you want. Of course any Pre effects will be mono, Post effects can be stereo if the FX8 OUT [POST] is set to 'STEREO' in the SETUP>AUDIO menu.

You can also use a Boss IR-200. The unit has a stereo effect loop, and this gives you a power amp and a cab simulation behind the FX8. I use this set-up for tweaking FX8 patches at home so I do not need to carry a pair of amps around.

Hmmm! A lot to think. I just bought an FX8 (first ever FAS). Quite happy with it since I have learned to create presets, etc. I have two amps at home and all is good. The question I have, in light of what I just read here is: Can I connect it to the mixer (Behringer X32) at our church? I have several TC Electronic effect pedals (Nova System, G System) which I use with no problem. Thank you for the help.

"Technically", you can of course connect the outputs of the FX8 to a mixer. The FX8 has, however, been designed for use with an amp (this could be either a 'classical' amp or an amp simulator pedal), and the question would then be where in the signal chain the amp goes when you connect the FX8 directly to a console. When you use just the FX8 and no amp, you'll miss the part that the amp contributes to your guitar tone - and you may or may not like the result.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will try it and see how it sounds.
Now, I have an AC30, Fender Deville, Fender Acoustasonic, a couple of smaller amps. Any of those you would recommend?
The Deville is at church, hehe.

Would you recommend to get an amp simulator? If so, would a software based simulator do? I have BIAS FX2 and a couple of amp simulators in my iPad.

The choice of an amp obviously depends pn your sound preferences. If you want to use a ‚real‘ amp anf you want to connect directly to a mixer, you will probably need a load box / cab simulator. Using an amp simulator pedal might be easier. To use the full potential of the FX8, the amp or simulator should have an effect loop so that you can connect using the 4-cable method. To the best of my knowledge, the Boss IR-200 is currently the only simulator pedal on the market whose effect loop has a stereo return.

Thank you, Frank. I will try all of the above and will "report back."
It has been fun creating new presets. They sound good in my basement. I play at church and hope they will sound fine.

I have connected my TC Electronic G Major 2 to my FX8 and everything is coming very nice. PRE and POST effects are coming to both amps and it sounds great. I followed the 4CM schematics but, instead of a Boss IR-200 or the Strymon Iridium, I use the G Major. Am I missing something? I am planning on plugging that "rig" to our X32 mixer at church. Any advice?

Frank, thanks! I am still planning on getting either a Boss IR-200 or a Strymon Iridium, but I am trying this at church.
Also, I have been using some of the blocks downloaded here. Some of them are amazing (for my taste - hehe).

Back
Top Bottom