FX 2 and ART Ultrafoot X-15 basic question

ItsDave

Hello,

Just got an X-15 from eBay. I'm a noob to Axe and Midi.
If the X-15 is in preset mode, and it's on MIDI channel 1, and the FX2 is on MIDI channel 1, shouldn't the preset up and down buttons on it change the presets on the FX2? I saw where someone with an FX3 said he had to change the Program Change (PC) to ON, which I have.

I've searched for this, but it seems this is the one thing that seems to work right away for everyone else...
I have the manuals for both, they are open and I'm reading them I promise!

Thank you!

Well, I did a factory reset on the X15, went in to the CTRL of the FX2 and hit ENTER on one of the options (Looper Rec i think) so the "learning" thing was flashing and started hitting some buttons on the X15. Nothing. I don't think they're talking to each other.
MIDI out on the pedal, MIDI in on the FX2.
I mean, that should work, right?

That should work but Learn only applies to CC messages not PC.

When you're in preset mode on the X-15 and you press a button, does the midi light on the front of the Axe Fx blink?

Midi out from X-15 to midi in on Axe Fx.

Make sure the midi cable is correctly aligned on both jacks. There is a little notch on the jack and connector but some cheap cables do a poor job on that.

Thanks for the reply! That made me look... The cable wasn't in all the way.
It wasn't blinking like you said, I didn't even know it was supposed to.
The brand new 10' midi cable I got from Guitar Center today has a big rubber boot starting about 7/16" away from the end and it was bottoming out on the back panel of the FX2. I tried one of two the short 5' cables the guy gave me with the Ultrafoot and it worked. Those ends are small diameter metal for about 1-3/8" away from the end.
Thank you sir!

edit - I know the GC cable is good because I shoved it in harder after I saw the unit was working and it also worked.
I'll file some rubber away or get another cable.

Thanks for the reply! That made me look... The cable wasn't in all the way.
It wasn't blinking like you said, I didn't even know it was supposed to.
The brand new 10' midi cable I got from Guitar Center today has a big rubber boot starting about 7/16" away from the end and it was bottoming out on the back panel of the FX2. I tried one of two the short 5' cables the guy gave me with the Ultrafoot and it worked. Those ends are small diameter metal for about 1-3/8" away from the end.
Thank you sir!

edit - I know the GC cable is good because I shoved it in harder after I saw the unit was working and it also worked.
I'll file some rubber away or get another cable.
Cool!

The X-15 is built like a tank... I had one back when they first came out with the SGX-2000 :)

Hey ItsDave, I can provide two tips...

1-) Do you have the x15 manual? Download the pdf here: http://artproaudio.com/framework/uploads/2018/06/om_x15.pdf

2-) Back when I switched from my Ultra to my Axe-FX II, the x15 just wouldn't control my axe for an obscure reason. Fractal support tried their best but never figured it out... Then I got lucky and simply unplugged the midi out (Axe) to midi in (x15) and everything worked again. Since I really wasn't sending any midi info in that direction (axe to x15), it wasn't a problem to keep that cable unplugged. Ultimately it had to do with my using a 7-pin midi cable (which caused the x15 to not work). I tried with a 5-pin midi cable and everything worked.

Not sure this will help you, but you never know

Hey ItsDave, I can provide two tips...

1-) Do you have the x15 manual? Download the pdf here: http://artproaudio.com/framework/uploads/2018/06/om_x15.pdf

2-) Back when I switched from my Ultra to my Axe-FX II, the x15 just wouldn't control my axe for an obscure reason. Fractal support tried their best but never figured it out... Then I got lucky and simply unplugged the midi out (Axe) to midi in (x15) and everything worked again. Since I really wasn't sending any midi info in that direction (axe to x15), it wasn't a problem to keep that cable unplugged. Ultimately it had to do with my using a 7-pin midi cable (which caused the x15 to not work). I tried with a 5-pin midi cable and everything worked.

Not sure this will help you, but you never know
Yeah... No need to send midi from Axe Fx to X-15... :)

Wow thanks for the tips and the link.
I think this thing will suit me. I play by myself. Just want to set up some presets, maybe turn some effects on and off and have easy access to a looper. The two expression pedals I thought would be a bonus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom