Full commital to the AxeFX: How long did it take you?

30 minutes. If you like low volume playing with output tube saturation effects and a simple rig there's nothin else.

Owned my Standard for two weeks before I played my first gig with it.

Sold hard and very commited after that. :D

I've been sold on it based on what it can do for some time already. I've had my Ultra for about a week, though, and I'm unable to get my rig working right, so until then I'm still pretty attached to my POD rig.

I jumped on board right before the 4.xx rev. I was actually disappointed in the drive sounds through my PA system, the cleans and effects sounded great. I then moved to using an amp and the axe in line, but its still sounded not too good. Then on recommendations I bought 2 QSC's and started tweaking. My 'Aha' moment was learned how to properly place the QSCs and started to build and tweak on my own. I completely happy playing through the PA too using my QSCs as monitors or backline. That took about 6 months. Now on 7.xx and have no GAS, except occassionally would like try a traditional power amp/cab setup, but my bandmates won't let me!

I use the Axe for my acoustic duo (we run vocals thru Input 2), my regular cover band, a jam-funk-groove trio (PA only along with VG88 and Synths), and when I play bass at our local guitar meetups.

The best gear investment was the AxeFx and my Liquid Foot.

rb

Sound-wise, I'm committed. Functionality-wise I'm still afraid to sell my Vetta II combo (even thou I haven't power it up in months). I hope the Fractal MFC will work like the Vetta/FCB.
+1

From day 1, I was sold after going through the presets and building a preset from scratch.
Day after day I became more convinced about the tonal qualities.
It has everything I missed in the Vetta except for one thing.
I know that sound wise it's in a whole other league.
But I miss the modelled effects in the Vetta and other L stuff.
I know that by tweaking the extensive set of parameters I should probably be able to copy all those sounds but frankly, I wouldn't know where to start.
I've asked repeatedly on this forum for sources on how to go about this but no one has been able to put me in the right direction.
If I were to us an analogy I would use the computer.
Now we have a tool to program and it's like programming in Assembler or C++.
What I need is a visual programming tool and that's what the L6 things are.
You get a model of an effect where the parameters that define that effect are hidden and only a few parameters are available to change.

But I'm not complaining. I've got some very usefull sounds allready and am learning day by day.
I even hope to be able to contribute more to this forum since I've allready gotten so much from it.
Perhaps this forum is another plus that sold me on the Axe-Fx.

From a sound perspective I was sold from day one. The Axe-FX just wins period on that level.

I mean no harm or dis to Lars and the perpetual beta editor, but what is missing is a world class Fractal supported software based editor albeit java or app based.

I was hooked pretty much right after I got mine up and running properly (arrived damaged and not really working)... so that's maybe 12 hours. :lol:

Went straight for the USA Lead models, i.e. what I'm familiar with when it comes to real amps. Choosing the right cabs was the toughest part, but it didn't take too long to figure out what worked for me there. PEQ to simulate the amp's GEQ, and I had a basic tone that rivalled my Quad rig at cranked volumes... only at bedroom levels direct through my monitors.

Pretty much straight away I realised I could get the sweet ass tones I like, without the hassle of loud volumes, mic'ing, effing tubes, etc. etc. Plus I could sell all my other crap and get everything through one little 2U box.

I'm just hoping I don't get dragged into a band soon, or I'll have to worry about how to amplify the thing ($$$). :|

I've owned my Standard for weeks now but only played it for the 2nd time yesterday. I'm already asking myself if I really need my Egnater M4 preamp.

Just a few days. My needs when buying it were pretty basic. Replace my G-Major for chorus and delays, replace other some basic stomp boxes, and my wah, If I could get a couple of clean amp tones, a couple of driven amps, and maybe a couple of things I never considered, it would be worth it. Little did I know how much more it would be.

Also, I never imagined the customer service and outstanding community that would come along with it!

I said it before, but it merits repeating...EVERYTIME I set up for a gig, or at rehersal, I smile at how easy it is to use, and how happy I am with the sound. I can't imagine going back to "traditional" amps and stomp boxes. :D

I appolgize for gushing... :oops:

I'm pondering it right now...looking at an Engl E570 and two, dual channel Egnater M4's wondering if I really need them any more. More a/bing to do first I think.

Honestly, I think I knew, or had a sense that it would be the solution months before I even received mine. But I still haven't been able to let go of my tube amps, even though I haven't touched them after a year. But I think my Badger may need to go in order to free up the funds for a pair of Atomic FRFRs :D

Back
Top Bottom