FRFR in front or in back?

In Front or In Back when Live?

• Total voters

nextfoolmartyr

Inspired
For those of you who use the FRFR system with your Axe, do you typically lay the monitor down in front of you or behind, as with a standard amp cab?

Voted Other.

I use In Ears live 100% of the time since the only place I currently play is my church. We run Aviom for all live music and small hotspots for general fill for speaking or choir specials we don't play on.

If I did play live I always prefer my monitor(s) in front at about a 45 degree angle towards me and an equal distance to the side as they are in front. If that makes sense.. I guess a better way to put it is I like my monitors at the front corner(s) of my world on stage.

I haven't voted. Sometimes behind, sometimes side. Depends whether we have good FOH when I prefer side, otherwise behind.

GM Arts said:
I haven't voted. Sometimes behind, sometimes side. Depends whether we have good FOH when I prefer side, otherwise behind.
You mean that if the FOH is not too good you place FRFR behind you to "help" it? Is not a problem to place it angled?

Why did I feel the need to reply with a "That's what she said" line, based on the title of this thread? :?

Anyway, I voted "other", simply because I do both. If I think there will be more stage volume from the other guitarist using a traditional amp on stage, I'll put it behind me so that the "guitar" sound coming off of the stage isn't all his and we're both projecting from the stage the same way. This helps to blend what's heard by people in the audience right in front of us, center stage, more evenly & efficiently. If the other guitarist isn't going to be loud on stage, or isn't going to be playing much, I'll have my own AXE FX monitoring coming out from in front of me. I decide before each show one way or the other. Both work for me.

RCarter said:
GM Arts said:
You mean that if the FOH is not too good you place FRFR behind you to "help" it? Is not a problem to place it angled?

I place it behind for small shows when the PA is pretty much vocals only, or when I don't trust the sound-guy. Otherwise, I prefer it at my side rather than in my face.

I was running my CAA 1X12 cabs in front of me before getting the black box. I found I can hear myself better and the interaction with my guitar greatly improves with my stereo cabs in front, angled up at my stomach. The QSCs have made that much easier.

Back
Top Bottom