Freeze-Sustainer Effect

curious

Experienced
Hi All, I searched but could not find a way to replicate the Electro-Harmonix Freeze pedal effect on the Ax8. For rehearsal and performance purposes, I need to be able to play a chord and have it sustain indefinitely so I can play melodies over it. I have used the looper and made a long loop of a particular chord but it eventually stops. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

There is a delay and reverb hold parameter you can assign to a controller. It’s not exactly the same thing but gets close.

Those pedals run a specific algorithm that can’t directly be duplicated, so if you need the specific effect, you can just run the real pedal either in front or in a loop.

There is a delay and reverb hold parameter you can assign to a controller. It’s not exactly the same thing but gets close.

Those pedals run a specific algorithm that can’t directly be duplicated, so if you need the specific effect, you can just run the real pedal either in front or in a loop.
Thanks! I also have an Ax III but not using it for gigs quite yet. I’m betting it may be more doable on the III, yes?

Thanks! I also have an Ax III but not using it for gigs quite yet. I’m betting it may be more doable on the III, yes?
Unless the AXIII has that specific effect, I doubt it. the Freeze works by taking a very small sample, smoothing the ends of the sample and infinitely looping it. I think the closest you'll get is using a delay with the diffusion set super high and using the delay hold.

... I need to be able to play a chord and have it sustain indefinitely so I can play melodies over it ...

I do just that in one of my songs, and I use a Control Switch attached to the Hold button. My recollection is that the duration of the Hold depends on other parameters in the effect.

I do just that in one of my songs, and I use a Control Switch attached to the Hold button. My recollection is that the duration of the Hold depends on other parameters in the effect.
This is true. Something to do with the mod IIRC. I made a post about it a while back!

Care to share the preset?? :)

Here's the preset.

First, I don't play guitar; I play a six string bass as a solo instrument (chords, melody, etc). So, the settings, especially the amp and drive, have been radically adjusted and are not going to sound good with a guitar. Thus, the preset can give you an idea of what I'm doing, but you'll probably want to build your own preset for what you're wanting to do.

The song this preset is designed for starts with a single chord, which is then held by clicking a control switch, and which is faded in with the expression pedal. Then a second control switch changes signal paths, and I play an improvised line on top of the held chord. At the end of the song I fade out the held chord with the expression pedal while fading out the last chord of the improvised line with the instrument's volume knob.

There are two parallel signal paths. The bottom path is the held chord, the top is the lead. There is only one scene.

Control Switch 1 is Reverb Hold

External 4, the expression pedal, is attached to Reverb Level

Control Switch 2 is attached to Drive Level to turn off the bottom signal path (so that the held chord is the only thing happening on that path), and is attached to Amp Master Volume to turn on the lead line signal path at the same time.

If I recall correctly, I think it's the Reverb Time of 8 seconds that enables the held chord to continue for the duration of the song. (It's a short song, about two minutes; I'm not sure how long the signal will last beyond that.)

So the only switches assigned on the AX8 are the two control switches; and there's the one expression pedal.

Drive is FET Preamp.

I hope this is helpful.

AX8 Edit.jpg

Attachments

• Opening Prayer.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
Here's the preset.

First, I don't play guitar; I play a six string bass as a solo instrument (chords, melody, etc). So, the settings, especially the amp and drive, have been radically adjusted and are not going to sound good with a guitar. Thus, the preset can give you an idea of what I'm doing, but you'll probably want to build your own preset for what you're wanting to do.

The song this preset is designed for starts with a single chord, which is then held by clicking a control switch, and which is faded in with the expression pedal. Then a second control switch changes signal paths, and I play an improvised line on top of the held chord. At the end of the song I fade out the held chord with the expression pedal while fading out the last chord of the improvised line with the instrument's volume knob.

There are two parallel signal paths. The bottom path is the held chord, the top is the lead. There is only one scene.

Control Switch 1 is Reverb Hold

External 4, the expression pedal, is attached to Reverb Level

Control Switch 2 is attached to Drive Level to turn off the bottom signal path (so that the held chord is the only thing happening on that path), and is attached to Amp Master Volume to turn on the lead line signal path at the same time.

If I recall correctly, I think it's the Reverb Time of 8 seconds that enables the held chord to continue for the duration of the song. (It's a short song, about two minutes; I'm not sure how long the signal will last beyond that.)

So the only switches assigned on the AX8 are the two control switches; and there's the one expression pedal.

Drive is FET Preamp.

I hope this is helpful.

View attachment 49312

This is a very cool and creative use of the Ax8. Bravo! I will try to re-create the bottom signal path. I love the chord you played and how subtle it is. Very inspiring stuff.

Back
Top Bottom