freaky, noisy record done completely with the Axe

adam

Inspired
hello peoples,

in november, 2010, we rented a space in downtown san francisco (the nastiest corner we could find), built a makeshift studio and recorded 30 days of improvisations. then we spent the next gazillion months carving up 8 (of around 45) jams to make this little set.

it's about 45 minutes of trippy, dancey, psychedelic, instrumental music, so it ain't gonna be for everyone...

i used an ultra for every guitar sound (a lot of which probably doesn't sound remotely like guitar). there's lots of stuff happening throughout every track.

there's post stuff as well (compression, reverb and extra delay here and there, but the meat of the sounds is all Axe-Fx - and a bit of wackiness)

i've been using the Axe II for the live versions, and am getting even better results, including some really crazy dubstep-type things, which i'll post at some point.

our album video trailor (if nothing else, check this out, cause it's silllly):

doppio album trailer (full version) - YouTube

our website, where you can listen to the album for free (or buy it):

doppio

and our facebook:

doppio | Facebook

thanks for your tolerance! :)

adam

I love this!

Sound design and processed guitar is as big a reason for me loving the Axe as is the emulative features that most gravitate to.

Would love to hear some of the patches soloed out of the mix and get more understanding of how you manipulated the native tones.

Buying the record for sure.

Robert

thanks so much, robert.

at the moment, it might be a task to get to the solo'd tracks. if you look at our youtube channel, i think there's at least one video (making of) where you hear an isolated guitar sound.

we've been filming a lot of stuff, and i've been meaning to sit down and film a few videos doing exactly what you mention, as far as explaining the sounds.

thanks again for listening!

adam

Refreshing! and nice sense of humor! :D
I really like it!

I am very curious how are you guys doing this live? You have pre-record stuff running our sequencers?

Jens

thanks for the kind words, guys!

hey jens, it's been tricky (but fun) to get the live thing going. since the tracks were made from improvisations (though there were a few bits that were written/worked out before hand), it was challenging to learn. we've been trying to find a balance between learning the parts, while leaving room for improvisation.

we do use some sequenced synth stuff (though we'd much rather find people to cover some things instead), but the better we get at it, we can pull off quite a bit live. my partner mckay plays a LOT of stuff via electric drum pads, various pedals, etc.

i'm also doing quite a bit of things simultaneously, via expression pedals, and some tap dancing on my mfc.

adam

Thanks for the info!
I guess I feel the improvisation vibe in what you guys are doing. I did see how the drummer was doing al sorts of triggering melodic things too in some of the video bits.
I've listened a bit to your album and I'll download it tomorrow, I really liked what I heard! Too bad it is too far away for me to see you live.

Keep at it :)

Jens

Thanks again for the kind words (and to those who bought the record!!).

yeah, it's on my "to do" list to make some videos on how i'm using the axe. i've been making some cool breakthrough's on the II lately, that i'm really excited about.

if there's any sound or track in particular that you're interested in, let me know and i'll focus on that.

thanks!

adam

Hi Adam,

I am really enjoying your album! Nice to hear something completely different (for me anyway...) Good luck with it.

Keep us posted if you make any videos of live performances etc.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom