Fractal Journey

I've owned and used every single Fractal modeling product at some point. I currently still have the FM9 and FM3.
I had been disappointed by the amp tones, the endless IRs, the constant tweaking, and the leveling across presets.
I had the best possible setup - I had tried everything - Matrix power amp + guitar cab, Atomic CLR FRFR .. nothing seemed to really appeal to me.
Even tried commercial presets - they seemed ok but not exactly an inspiration.

So I went back to my tube amps for almost a year, and I loved the tones but not the weight of the cab and the pedalboard.
Mic'ing was another challenge - do I really want to spend a lot more money on mics?

It always felt like a tradeoff. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try my FM9 one more time - maybe things have changed?

And.. (drum roll) .. For the first time, I no longer feel the need to go back to my tube amps and pedals.
The tones out of the FM9 are simply stunning.

I think it's a combination of things:
  • The modeling is obviously much better. I feel it is now impossible to tell the difference with a tube amp. The "feel" is all there.
  • I am a better guitar player, with a better ear for frequencies, so I can get more out of the equipment when I need to get that specific tone.

I'm now thinking I will buy a second FRFR monitor and then live in tone heaven with a stereo setup.

Might even buy the Axe 3 Turbo again during the Holiday sale towards the end of the year.

Is AXE 4 on the horizon?

Back
Top Bottom