For those looking for John Petrucci Tones!

Okay I already did the lead channel so might aswell share it. I used the Cali cab (since it's the cab Petrucci uses) but I think it's already scooped in the Axe-Fx so if you change the cab you'll probably have to try other PEQ settings. I made a quick clip of Constant Motion. Sorry for the sloppy playing... I'm not used to playing other people's songs.

http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/cl ... l-settings

Attachments

• CK John Petrucci RHY.syx
    2 KB · Views: 1,104
Don´t worry about the playing, this is all about the tone!
And u got IT!!!
Just wonder how someone has so good ears for tweaking tones, and u just have that talent.
I think if we are comparing your patch and JPs video tone, u have more treble but its very close... have to try this.
Thanks for the patch man!
And KIPPIS!

Btw,
Have u nailed JPs nighmare to remember first solo tone that starts in about 8:30 time?
Thats so great shred tone and I liked to try it...

Good work Clark Kent - in a mix it would be very, very hard to tell the difference.

I am going to compare your patch to a few I made a while ago - might post one here as well.

Brilliant job mate, that's as close a version of the Petrucci rhythm tone as I've ever heard.

I definitely second the more mid-heavy lead tone motion! Maybe something from the earlier DT stuff: I'd love a take on the "Under A Glass Moon" solo for eg, but this is hardly a requests thread;)

nexus said:
Btw,
Have u nailed JPs nighmare to remember first solo tone that starts in about 8:30 time?
Thats so great shred tone and I liked to try it...

It should be those same settings with more gain. Try flipping the drive to 10. It almost works as a rhythm sound even with that amount of gain. And ofcourse Petrucci leads have that Stereo delay going on LOUD. 250ms left, 500ms right or 300ms L, 600 R. Remember that you need at least two speakers to get stereo effects. It sounds incredible when playing live. If you want more gain then JP is using a tube screamer nowadays so 808 OD or 808 MOD. Which ever works best. :)

Ok, thanks man!
One day I had some cool moments with amp block output and level knobs... so cool how that effects to tone.
There is so much you can do with this great unit!!!!

mags said:
what do you think of this tone?

http://soundcloud.com/mags-marius/shattered-cali

i could post the patch, but it is very simple....(truth i don't know how to upload :lol: )
[mark2c+(regular petrucci settings, nothing fancy)]-[calicab-sm57]-[PEQ(-6 db shelving at 8,6 khz)]
hope you like it, i think it is cool, anyway... ;)

It does sound Petrucci-esque. At first I thought it was spot on but then I compared it to the original. Petrucci's tone was scooped more and he has this icepick frequency which I actually don't like.

mags said:
what do you think of this tone?

http://soundcloud.com/mags-marius/shattered-cali

i could post the patch, but it is very simple....(truth i don't know how to upload :lol: )
[mark2c+(regular petrucci settings, nothing fancy)]-[calicab-sm57]-[PEQ(-6 db shelving at 8,6 khz)]
hope you like it, i think it is cool, anyway... ;)

Great tone there too, very close to original... and I like that tone has "balls", maybe a bit more than JPs tone does.

Clark Kent said:
speedloader said:
2nd attempt, John's settings, different cabs, it sounds like that http://soundcloud.com/apophtegmatique/curve-1-1

Well Curve is a Recto tone so it's a bit hard to compare these two. I think it's very easy to get that tone ampwise but the cabinet is where it usually fails. That's why I tried to make those Petrucci matched IR's.

Any success with IRs?
Somehow I always miss something in these patches, but it maybe the pickup differences that we have.
I have tried 2 different cabs and their different mixes to get close to JPs tone... nothing fancy yet :)

Edit: f****d up the multi quote :)

Those match IR's are coming and I'm glad to say that these turned out great! This is a bigger process than before... it includes three spectrum sweeps for every IR so it takes a long time but at least these are good when they are done. :)

http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/cl ... i-irs-test

I know those don't sound 100% correct but that's because I didn't tweak the patches at all. I just wanted to know that they work. These are well balanced IR's and ofcourse I'm sharing them for free. Constant Motion is captured from the intro. I've got guitar stems for BC&SL so Shattered is from there and Jaws Of Life is from the intro also.

These were kinda complicated to match but I'll try to explain. I played the riffs along with the original track. I had a cabinet on (which was Cali without a mic) and then I used match EQ between those two. Then I ran a sweep through the matched EQ setting into my Axe-Fx with only the cali cab on. Then I ran it through into Voxengo Deconvolver BUT I sweeped my Axe-Fx spectrum (which for some reason isn't ruler flat but let's not go there now) I compared the Axe-Fx spectrum to the complicated sweep I explained above. Then I ended up with these IR's. I know it's complicated and even more complicated to explain.

Attachments

• Constant Motion IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 435
  • Shattered Fortress IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Jaws Of Life IR.syx
    7.6 KB · Views: 385
Clark Kent said:
http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/clark-kent-john-petrucci-irs-test

I know those don't sound 100% correct but that's because I didn't tweak the patches at all. I just wanted to know that they work. These are well balanced IR's and ofcourse I'm sharing them for free. Constant Motion is captured from the intro. I've got guitar stems for BC&SL so Shattered is from there and Jaws Of Life is from the intro also.

These were kinda complicated to match but I'll try to explain. I played the riffs along with the original track. I had a cabinet on (which was Cali without a mic) and then I used match EQ between those two. Then I ran a sweep through the matched EQ setting into my Axe-Fx with only the cali cab on. Then I ran it through into Voxengo Deconvolver BUT I sweeped my Axe-Fx spectrum (which for some reason isn't ruler flat but let's not go there now) I compared the Axe-Fx spectrum to the complicated sweep I explained above. Then I ended up with these IR's. I know it's complicated and even more complicated to explain.

Yes, they do have the same character.
Dont understand what u have done exactly, but seems to work... keep posting when u get patches with them, Im sure they will sound killer!

Back
Top Bottom