FOH vs 'direct' (and forum issue)

ethrbunny

Inspired
Ran into problems at a gig last night with my 2.0 patches. Everything was screechy and downright unpleasant.. and it wasn't *entirely* by design.. about 1/2 through said gig I remembered that I had monkeyed with global EQ after downloading the 2.0 update and was hearing the results via FOH for the first time. I had been adjusting the sound using the 'direct to powered speaker' route.. and was using it via a PA. Oh - and the room was very 'live'.. concrete floors, glass, etc. It was nuts. As soon as we walked in I thought 'uh oh'.
My question: There will be mixtures of 'direct' vs 'FOH' gigs. How do I create patches that work for both? I've been reading about output 1 vs 2 but Im not seeing the path to happiness yet.

Forum issue: I tried a number of different ways to search for 'foh' in this forum and was told 'no results' every time. I know this has been discussed. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like something at the board. Perhaps you were plugged into a mic input instead of line in. That could have created some very unpleasant clipping from the PA. If you adjust your tones using a powered speaker at gig volumes, then the PA should not color your tone THAT much to be screechy and unpleasant.

In response to your forum issue, I believe the search function works for words of four letters or longer only.

In response to your forum issue, I believe the search function works for words of four letters or longer only.

I believe so. You can partially work around this by using a wildcard character to lengthen the search e.g. foh*, but this can give some random seeming results in some cases.

Cheers
Steve

Ran into problems at a gig last night with my 2.0 patches. Everything was screechy and downright unpleasant.. and it wasn't *entirely* by design.. about 1/2 through said gig I remembered that I had monkeyed with global EQ after downloading the 2.0 update and was hearing the results via FOH for the first time. I had been adjusting the sound using the 'direct to powered speaker' route.. and was using it via a PA. Oh - and the room was very 'live'.. concrete floors, glass, etc. It was nuts. As soon as we walked in I thought 'uh oh'.
My question: There will be mixtures of 'direct' vs 'FOH' gigs. How do I create patches that work for both? I've been reading about output 1 vs 2 but Im not seeing the path to happiness yet.

If you're using a powered speaker as well as going foh, one work around is use out 1 xlrs to foh and out 2 for powered speaker. make sure you have out 1 set to copy to out 2. Then you have a separate global eq for foh and your speaker.

If you're using a powered speaker as well as going foh, one work around is use out 1 xlrs to foh and out 2 for powered speaker. make sure you have out 1 set to copy to out 2. Then you have a separate global eq for foh and your speaker.

This is what I do as well. I use the Output 1 XLR to/for the FOH, and Output 2 to my power amp and stage monitor.

That way I can set the Global EQ 2 to tune in my stage monitor for different rooms and not have the FOH feed affected.

There was another similar thread about needing to use a DI or not. The symptoms were similar to yours.

Are you using a rack mounted wireless receiver connected to the Axe and are both in the same rack? If so, try using isolating washers with the wireless receiver.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom