Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Opinions

EG 2006

Inspired
I've searched the forum and only found one or two threads mentioning the 18i20 and I'm hoping I might be able to gain some insights from those who have one. At the moment I use a Mackie Big Knob Studio + as a USB interface and monitor controller. My rig is quite simple. Axe FX 3 and USB from PC into the Studio + with output to up to 3 sets of monitors/powered speakers. I also use the headphone function on the Studio +.

The benefits of the Studio + for me are:
1) Ability to run up to 3 monitors/power speakers and easily engage/disengage all of them (with level adjustment)
2) Ability to select either Axe Fx or PC USB as the input source, or both
3) Having the master volume control
4) Having the mute button - awesome for changing guitars etc
5) Ability to just run PC USB audio without having to power up that Axe FX

So I am looking to upgrade and the Scarlett 18i20 GEN3 seems to have the features I need. For starters, I need a rack unit (not desktop like the Studio +). My specific questions:
1) How good is the audio processing? Will the Axe FX 3 sound quality diminish by running through the 18i20? Will it be better or worse than the Studio +
2) Is the 18i20 overkill for what I need it for and is there a better solution I am not aware of (must be rack unit)
3) I would like to be able to run PC USB audio to one set of monitors and the Axe Fx to another - this would allow, for example, backing tracks/drums to one set of monitors and the Axe FX 3 through another. Will the 18i20 do this?
4) Would the 18i20 GEN3 be better than the GEN2 for what my intended use is?

Of critical importance for me is the sound quality factor. My rig right now is very much entrenched in position and it would take a few hours to disassemble so I could A/B between Axe direct to monitors vs Axe via Studio + to monitors. From what I have read, there is some deterioration in audio quality when running through the Studio +. Would the 18i20 be better?

Thanks everyone. I'm a total novice when it comes to all of this stuff and sometimes it's hard to get all the answers you need from searches.

Back
Top Bottom