FM9T First Gig in the Sun

elvis

Experienced
Played a private party this weekend. They had a cover over the band, but I was on the side with the sun. Quite difficult to see the FM9 lights. A bit confusing for sure. Two things that helped:
1. I'm pretty used to gigging the FM9, so I know it pretty well
2. I have the unit set to automatically go to scenes mode once I choose a preset. So if I'm not sure where I'm at, I can hit two buttons and get somewhere functional

I've seen the posts about on-stage covers for the FM9, I will have to do something similar I think.

When I was gigging a FM3 outdoors, I would use a Morningstar MC6 MIDI controller as it was much easier to see with the sun beating down. I haven't gigged my FM9 yet and I can't recall when the feature was added, but inverting the scribble strips, for me, is much easier to read as well.

When I was gigging a FM3 outdoors, I would use a Morningstar MC6 MIDI controller as it was much easier to see with the sun beating down. I haven't gigged my FM9 yet and I can't recall when the feature was added, but inverting the scribble strips, for me, is much easier to read as well.
I do have the scribble strips inverted. I agree that it's a big improvement!

I'll have to check out the inverted scribble strips, never heard that feature but my old eyes could use some help sometimes. Can't seem to play the guitar with bi-focals so I don't wear glasses at all which means the FM9 is a trick to read at times.
I built a cheap sun-shade that I had to use twice this summer and it worked awesome!
1695732015743.jpeg1695731991164.jpeg

Btw, for anyone looking for how to invert the scribble strips (mini displays) on the FM9:

Go to 'Setup' on the device
Select 'FC Controllers/Onboard Switches' and push 'Enter'
Use 'PAGE' buttons to move to 'Config' tab
Scroll down to 'Invert Mini Displays' under the 'APPEARANCE' category and change the selection to "ON"

Last edited:
I saw @Sully0556 original thread with that shade built and love it!

This summer I had only 3 gigs where the sun was beating down and I agree it's a little tricky to read if relying on colours or text. I got so used to the PP layout I made though and luckily didn't make any missteps on switching.

If you come with another cool shade idea, please share!

@Sully0556 what material did you use for the shade you mounted on the frame? And did you home-weld that thang? Nice job! I go low-tech and keep a spare piece of cardboard at the ready for precariously propping up and hope for minimal wind speeds. :)

Gear by CEBA sells a sunshield.

@Sully0556 what material did you use for the shade you mounted on the frame? And did you home-weld that thang? Nice job! I go low-tech and keep a spare piece of cardboard at the ready for precariously propping up and hope for minimal wind speeds. :)

Gear by CEBA sells a sunshield.
It's just 1/8" round rod welded to some 1/8x1 strap. I formed the rod by bending it in a vice, pretty low-tech but effective if needed. I had painted cardboard attached for a sun shade this summer but I have a better shield being screened with a band logo for next summer.

Back
Top Bottom