FM9 vs AxefxIII/ pres vs spdif

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
In a blind test between the FM9 going thru my Apollo pres (no unison plugins) vs my axefxIII going spdif, there is a significant step up in the FM9.

Do the pres really make that much difference? The modeling is the same, isn’t it?

Step up? In volume?, tone?, ?

Afaik, modelling is the same. Have you base lined FM9 > pre vs FM9 spdif?

Step up? In volume?, tone?, ?

Afaik, modelling is the same. Have you base lined FM9 > pre vs FM9 spdif?
No I have not. Point is 2 different signal paths yielded significantly different results and these paths are generally marketed as flat/transparent.
Step up in tone/ feel and everything really and the axefxIII was never bad. In fact it’s quite good but this went from quite good to absolutely great.

Generally louder == better. Are you sure the levels were matched?

Otherwise maybe you just prefer whatever coloration the pres are adding...
Definitely not a volume thing because I noticed it instantly before even comparing the 2. As soon as I plugged in the FM9 it was just better.

If Unison is off, there’s no modeling going on there. If you hear a difference when using the Apollo converter, I’d be surprised. It’s designed to be transparent. If you like what you hear, cool. But that’ll be highly subjective so I’d hesitate to use the word “better”.

If Unison is off, there’s no modeling going on there. If you hear a difference when using the Apollo converter, I’d be surprised. It’s designed to be transparent. If you like what you hear, cool. But that’ll be highly subjective so I’d hesitate to use the word “better”.
Nothing in the unison slot or anywhere in console.

Did you run them both thru the Apollo at the same level also? It's the next thing to test IMHO.
Those aren't the same signal chain otherwise so its easy for me to imagine differences that have nothing to do with Fractal.
Blind but with all those other differences doesn't make the test an equivalence, just blind for you.

Back
Top Bottom