FM9 USB speed? CAT6 Extension?

crreed

I want to extend my computer's USB and HDMI feed over a CAT6 extender so I can set my rig up and jam in my living room using the PC in my study.

I'm looking at a product that reports it can do USB 2.0 at 350 Mbps and it would be really awesome if I could run the FM9 plus a mouse and keyboard with that.

I think the technical maximum of USB 2.0 is 480Mbps.

Does anyone have any idea if 350 Mbps might be enough to use MIDI/audio with the FM9, or am I dreaming?

Does anyone have any experience extending FM9 USB over a CAT (data) cable?

48k sample rate * 24 bit depth = 1152000 bits/second for one audio stream. 480 Mbps = 480,000,000 bits/second. Dividing the latter by the former results in a theoretical 400+ simultaneous lossless audio streams for USB 2.0. That is why it's still in use on new devices like axefx and other high-end audio interfaces like those from RME which can carry hundreds of channels (e.g. MADIface USB). It's super cheap, extremely stable, and newer versions of USB are backwards compatible with it.

So to answer your question, yes, you'll have plenty of bandwidth at 350Mbps for mouse, keyboard, and a couple channels of USB audio from the Fractal. The issue you'll have is length but if the product you're looking at says it supports the length you need then it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
So to answer your question, yes, you'll have plenty of bandwidth at 350Mbps for mouse, keyboard, and a couple channels of USB audio from the Fractal. The issue you'll have is length but if the product you're looking at says it supports the length you need then it's worth a shot.
Really appreciate your response, thanks so much :)

Back
Top Bottom