FM9 + UA Apollo thunderbolt as aggregate device for Logic?

prina

I'm considering getting an Apollo (Firewire Quad + TB card) but am wondering if I set up both the FM9 USB and Apollo Thunderbolt 3 as an aggregate device if Logic is smart enough to handle the different latencies for the USB and TB connection and applies a different latency compensation for each device or if it just applies one latency compensation for both of them. In the second case, the FM9 would be delayed by around 5 ms relative to the Apollo. Or worse, maybe that combination doesn't work at all.

I could connect them via SPDIF to record the DI track thru the Apollo but then would also need to use OUT 1/2 for an analog out to the Apollo which I assume would still be very good but would involve extra D->A and A->D conversions.

Thanks for sharing any experience.

There is only one latency compensation value that Logic will apply for the aggregate. It's a single device after all. I would expect the latencies for the FM9 and Apollo to be closer than 5ms, but that depends on what you're doing in the FM9. Worst case, you just turn the Recording Delay preference on and off depending on which device you're taking input from.

If you don't want to deal with that, use config #5 from the recording guide and use spdif instead of #4. No, that doesn't involve extra conversions. However, you would need an audio interface capable of spdif i/o.

Last edited:
I've never been thrilled with aggregate devices involving "portable devices" for a number of reasons.

I either take a digital out from the portable device or just switch between input sources in the audio menu within Logic.

I will say that I'm very impressed with the DAC in the Fractal and I have no qualms using it as an audio interface for guitar and bass. It compares very favorably with my main interfaces (Mytek and Metric Halo) which is saying something.

The new UA interfaces are really nice and everyone needs a nice interface for vocals, acoustics and drums so, by all means, I would get one.

However, for tracking electric, I have pretty much converted to just changing the input source to the FM9 in Logic and then swapping back when the guitars are done.

Back
Top Bottom