FM9 run in mono tips

playmusic

Inspired
Typically, I end up running in mono when I play out. Out to a single FRFR on stage and a single channel on the mixer. I would for example have a single 1/4 cable or XLR cable running out of Output 1's left channel to my FRFR, and a single XLR from the left channel running to FOH from Output 2.

I have read the manual and watched videos but still wondering what the ideal configuration on the FM9 is for running a mono setup. Both in terms of how to set the global output options, and also how to best configure individual blocks for mono.

Currently I still have my 'Setup' --> 'Audio' --> 'Output Config' = "Stereo" for all outputs. Hoping everything sums or at least is optimized for mono by the time it hits the left outputs. I have seen a few tips here and there such as setting the 'Stereo Spread' to 0% and wondering what other advice/tips other players here have for running in mono. Thanks!

Thanks, already checked those out but still not feeling sure as to what to select globally. Also, not sure I am addressing all the parameters I need to in individual blocks. For example, do I need to have the last block before the Output be mono? A strategy used in some other modelers.

Was hoping for some concrete examples of how mono users are running their FM9. Might just be me not quite absorbing it yet, but the guidance in the documentation still feels a little nebulous to me on this topic. Was hoping for something more along the lines of, "Running in mono?", "I do the following...".

Last edited:
the main question is do you have anything actually stereo in your preset? if not, and both sides send the same exact signal, then leave it set to stereo and just use one output.

if you have some things in stereo but they aren't "tone defining" you can do the same thing.

summing to mono often creates phase cancellation and is worse than just running one side of a stereo signal.

for example, i have a stereo delay on my lead tone. it's just a slight time difference between left and right. if i sum that to mono, the delay basically disappears. but if i just use one side of the stereo signal, i at least have a strong single delay.

Last edited:
I also run mono live. I've been using L+R, seems to work well. I am struggling a bit to put together a mono chorus I like, but mostly I am happy. The stereo delays get mono-ized fine.

Bump! Hoping for some more tips on running in mono here. For example, @elvis is running his global setting on "L+R". Is this what other mono users are using? Any other tips?

Bump! Hoping for some more tips on running in mono here. For example, @elvis is running his global setting on "L+R". Is this what other mono users are using? Any other tips?
I mainly run in stereo but when I need to run a mono preset I build one specifically for it, even if I have to just copy a preset then replace all of the stereo effects with a mono version. Come gig time I just plug in to one of the OP's call up that preset and don't think anything about it.

It’s basically needing to play through your presets mono ahead of time and see if anything sound off! If you don’t hear anything wrong all good.

In my experience it has been specific panning or delay effects that have caused issues - or the expander block just making things thin etc.

I also run mono live. I've been using L+R, seems to work well. I am struggling a bit to put together a mono chorus I like, but mostly I am happy. The stereo delays get mono-ized fine.

I usually run stereo, XLR direct to FOH and use IEM's to monitor. This weekend I am helping out another church and it sounds like I will be running mono. One out to FOH and one to a small FRFR monitor.

Would it be best to sum output 1 L+R - and run one to FOH mixer and the other to my personal monitor? Or do I need to involve other outputs? (2 or 3)

Just curious what others here would do.

Here's what the manual says. But I am unclear which option would be best, dual mono or summed mono.
I am running dual amps but it should be okay to make mono. I'll try both but was curious what makes the most sense.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.02.04 PM.png

Typically, I end up running in mono when I play out. Out to a single FRFR on stage and a single channel on the mixer. I would for example have a single 1/4 cable or XLR cable running out of Output 1's left channel to my FRFR, and a single XLR from the left channel running to FOH from Output 2.
I do the same live and just leave it set to stereo and haven't had anyone complain or say that it sounds bad. Chorus just doesn't sound as 'big'. I run stereo at my desk and have a Big Knob that I run my Monitors through and switch everything to Mono for sanity checks when I'm building presets for live. Just keeps me from having to unplug things.

I usually run stereo, XLR direct to FOH and use IEM's to monitor. This weekend I am helping out another church and it sounds like I will be running mono. One out to FOH and one to a small FRFR monitor.

Would it be best to sum output 1 L+R - and run one to FOH mixer and the other to my personal monitor? Or do I need to involve other outputs? (2 or 3)

Just curious what others here would do.
I prefer to use OUT1 to FOH and OUT2 for my monitor. That way I can change my monitor volume without affecting FOH.

If I may ask - when running MONO to FOH do y’all find it’s best to have effects before or after your amp(s)?
I have to run MONO (I do this by going into the setup mode - choose audio - sum L+R, etc) for our church.
I’ve been experimenting having effects before the amp but I’m not sure our FOH guy digs it too much.
I’m just curious what y’all think.
Thanks!

-Scott

I wouldn't think about effects before or after the amp affecting my decision to run mono or stereo at all. It's more a tonal choice like wanting delays to get stacked/messy. Sounds like your FOH guy is hearing that same smearing of time-based effects and isn't a fan! I'm not really either.

I've successfully run OUT1 to FOH both mono (sum L+R) and stereo, and have given just left channel while set to stereo (thinking I had set it to sum) all without issues. My IEM are stereo, and my wedge on stage is always set to sum L+R and it's just one channel of OUT2 anyway

I wouldn't think about effects before or after the amp affecting my decision to run mono or stereo at all. It's more a tonal choice like wanting delays to get stacked/messy. Sounds like your FOH guy is hearing that same smearing of time-based effects and isn't a fan! I'm not really either.

I've successfully run OUT1 to FOH both mono (sum L+R) and stereo, and have given just left channel while set to stereo (thinking I had set it to sum) all without issues. My IEM are stereo, and my wedge on stage is always set to sum L+R and it's just one channel of OUT2 anyway
I understand what ya mean.
Thank you for the input.
I don’t have a choice @ church - I have to run mono. I’m just curious / interested in the experience(s) y’all have had - running mono out with FX pre versus post the amp block.
Thanks again!

I understand what ya mean.
Thank you for the input.
I don’t have a choice @ church - I have to run mono. I’m just curious / interested in the experience(s) y’all have had - running mono out with FX pre versus post the amp block.
Thanks again!
I think placing any stereo effects before the amp will use sum to mono (L+R) at the input to the amp block. Placing them after the amp block gives you the option of how to feed those stereo effects to FOH and/or monitors (half stereo, dual mono, or sum to mono).

Of course as others above have mentioned, there are other sonic differences to placing effects before the amp which you may or may not desire.

It could be either or both that your FOH person is referring to.

Back
Top Bottom