FM9 replacement product?

David Johnson

I had the Axe-Fx II XL+ for many years. When I bought it I'd been thinking about going Fractal for a long time, and when I pulled the trigger the Axe-Fx III came out two weeks later. This didn't bother me much at the time but eventually the fact that the II wasn't getting the same updates as the III irked me.

Fast forward and I've since got rid of the Axe-Fx and gone to a straight hardware rig. The tonex pedal intrigued me recently so I extended my rig to include it with an FRFR and some loop pedals to make it all work together. It's great but the tonex and profiling is not for me; I'm now planning to switch to an FM9.

The FM9 is still a relatively new product (first released 3 years ago), but I am concerned I'll have another experience where I get the Fractal product and they release something right away that's strictly an improvement. Any ideas about the chances that something new is being cooked up? Should I go FM9 or hold off a while?

If you wait for the next product, youll never buy anything. Just buy and ignore whatever eventually happens after. There are LOTS of people still playing on the AF2/AX8 platform and probably many happy people on original AF units as well. You cant lose.

I just got my first fractal product, an FM9T. If I get a few years out of it before a new unit came out, I'd be tempted to buy the new unit and have the old one as back up.
If there was enough good reasons to upgrade. Likely I'll be very happy with my FM9T to stay with it through a few more generations of upgrades. My needs will no where come close to using all the capabilities of this unit. But it gives me far more than what I can get from tube amps and pedals.

The FM9T is a real sweet spot IMHO of power, flexibility, and portability.
If you can afford it, you will not likely regret it.

The Fractal platform obsoleted tube amps for me, other than as a romantic collector's item.

The Fractal platform obsoleted tube amps for me, other than as a romantic collector's item.
Same for me. Only keeping one tube amp. My Fargen DBC50 head with 2X12 cabinet. But its likely I'll never haul it again to a gig. I'll probably let it go in a few years. Just not ready yet.

Back
Top Bottom