FM9 & HX/DA Tone?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Am currently researching the tone one obtains from the PRS HX/DA series amp; specifically the DA (Duane Allman) side of the amp.

Can anybody offer a suggestion as to what FM9 preset or amp config might provide comparable tones, say from the 'Live at the Fillmore' or 'Eat A Peach' Allman Brothers era?

TBH, I've personally not done much gear research on what amps Duane was utilizing back then. Was hoping someone could direct me as to how to obtain the comparable tone from Duane's amp within a FM9 config...

Ah. Found Yek's Guide to Fractal Audio Amp Models. This will help somewhat. Any additional specific info would be helpful as well...

It's important to research the amps. Duane Allman used a JTM-45 for years, with the inputs jumpered if I remember right. He also was supposed to have never changed his power tubes, so they're weaker than new tubes, which attributed to the tone.

People discuss his settings all the time, and there are not a lot of useful photos of the settings of his amp. Search Google for "duane allman amp settings".

On a real tube amp, to get a Duane Allman sound, I tend to rely on the middle pickup selection of a Les Paul-type guitar, and adjust the pickups to be clean and clear, then turn up the master so the power amp is on the edge of breaking up.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index....settings-pics-info.151264/page-3#post-2805833

Also, he and Dickey Betts were supposed to be using JBL-D120 speakers, which are pretty bright, so take that into account selecting a cab model.

And, of course, https://www.guitarlobby.com/duane-allman-guitars-and-gear/ says it was a Marshall Lead 50w Model. And, that it was sometimes combined with the bass model. So, nobody seems to be sure.

Last edited:
Was hoping to dial in my FM9 with the appropriate amp/tweaks/cab/effects as needed. Will check out the link you've provided...

It's important to research the amps. Duane Allman used a JTM-45 for years, with the inputs jumpered if I remember right. He also was supposed to have never changed his power tubes, so they're weaker than new tubes, which attributed to the tone.

People discuss his settings all the time, and there are not a lot of useful photos of the settings of his amp. Search Google for "duane allman amp settings".

On a real tube amp, to get a Duane Allman sound, I tend to rely on the middle pickup selection of a Les Paul-type guitar, and adjust the pickups to be clean and clear, then turn up the master so the power amp is on the edge of breaking up.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index....settings-pics-info.151264/page-3#post-2805833

Also, he and Dickey Betts were supposed to be using JBL-D120 speakers, which are pretty bright, so take that into account selecting a cab model.

And, of course, https://www.guitarlobby.com/duane-allman-guitars-and-gear/ says it was a Marshall Lead 50w Model. And, that it was sometimes combined with the bass model. So, nobody seems to be sure.
TY. That's a good place to begin...

The DA side of the HX/DA is derived from the Marshall bass circuit that was in Duane’s Plexi. Derek Trucks had the amp, and let Paul into it. Paul Reed Smith discusses it in the first video in the attached post. After acquiring two 50-watt versions (a head that I converted to a 1x12 combo, and another paisley head originally made for a well known guitarist that I just couldn’t pass up), I endeavored to assemble as much data on this amplifier as possible. To my ear, it is the best Plexi Marshall amp out there, and with the DA circuitry added, eclipses even the real thing.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...are-your-hxda-knowledge-with-the-world.44624/

The DA side of the HX/DA is derived from the Marshall bass circuit that was in Duane’s Plexi. Derek Trucks had the amp, and let Paul into it. Paul Reed Smith discusses it in the first video in the attached post. After acquiring two 50-watt versions (a head that I converted to a 1x12 combo, and another paisley head originally made for a well known guitarist that I just couldn’t pass up), I endeavored to assemble as much data on this amplifier as possible. To my ear, it is the best Plexi Marshall amp out there, and with the DA circuitry added, eclipses even the real thing.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...are-your-hxda-knowledge-with-the-world.44624/
Thanks, Rick,
While it was a lot of slogging through the entire thread, there were some useful bits of printed or image info there...thanks again...

THIS is what I might need...scrolling to the amp section...the article speaks about Duane's Marshall 50W Lead amp...utilized in none other than the classic 1987X amp that FM9 contains...there you have it...and that's exactly what I needed...the demo is not the best example, but it's close to the 1959SLP with more aggressiveness and treble.

I've enjoyed the 1987X before...no wonder I liked it a few months ago...

Last edited:
THIS is what I might need...scrolling to the amp section...the article speaks about Duane's Marshall 50W Lead amp...utilized in none other than the classic 1987X amp that FM9 contains...there you have it...and that's exactly what I needed...the demo is not the best example, but it's close to the 1959SLP with more aggressiveness and treble.

I've enjoyed the 1987X before...no wonder I liked it a few months ago...
Remember, even different amps from the same model sound different because of combinations of tolerances. That Fractal modeled that amp doesn’t mean it sounds like Allman’s. And Paul Reed Smith, who, along with Doug Sewell, had their heads in the original amp and know how it should be wired, said it’s been modified from the schematic.

If you have a chance to play one, take it! You’d be amazed at how you can tailor the tone just using the bass/treble channel volumes and never touching the tone stack. The three switches also add options and change components from those in Duane’s amp to the kind Jimi used. For chasing those tones and others like early Billy Gibbons, it’s a beast.

Remember, even different amps from the same model sound different because of combinations of tolerances. That Fractal modeled that amp doesn’t mean it sounds like Allman’s. And Paul Reed Smith, who, along with Doug Sewell, had their heads in the original amp and know how it should be wired, said it’s been modified from the schematic.

If you have a chance to play one, take it! You’d be amazed at how you can tailor the tone just using the bass/treble channel volumes and never touching the tone stack. The three switches also add options and change components from those in Duane’s amp to the kind Jimi used. For chasing those tones and others like early Billy Gibbons, it’s a beast.
Thanks for the heads-up guys.

I realize that Duane's tone may very well be elusive to some, but my feeling is that it will likely be guesswork in Fractal nation for the duration. Billy Gibbon's early lead tone is also part of what I seek.

I'll likely stand firmly against buying a new amp for quite a while, simply because what is elusive may only cause dissatisfaction and guesswork with what I already have. YMMV.

While the world prefers to keep us guessing, my choice is listening and observing, watching and learning. It may be the only thing that prevents me from wasting my time on pursuits that may not be valuable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom