FM9 effects vs. FX8

Really simple question maybe but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had an FX8, or maybe an Axe FXII and gone on the the newer models. Is there a huge difference in sound quality. I know a more powerful engine will allow me to run more High quality effects but take one type like reverbs or delays. Did you find a vast improvement ? I've had my FX8 just a couple of years so I'm a relative new comer. And I love the sounds I've been getting and I'm not put off by the programing at all. I've recently getting into a whole new round of reprograming sounds for a wet/dry/wet rig and thought that if I am going to upgrade now would be a good time to do it. Should I?
I should add that the W/D/W means that I'm pretty much wedded to my big tube amp. But wouldn't mind the amp and cab models for smaller gigs going to straight to PA. My name is on the waiting list for the FM9.
Thanks all.

Really simple question maybe but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had an FX8, or maybe an Axe FXII and gone on the the newer models. Is there a huge difference in sound quality. I know a more powerful engine will allow me to run more High quality effects but take one type like reverbs or delays. Did you find a vast improvement ? I've had my FX8 just a couple of years so I'm a relative new comer. And I love the sounds I've been getting and I'm not put off by the programing at all. I've recently getting into a whole new round of reprograming sounds for a wet/dry/wet rig and thought that if I am going to upgrade now would be a good time to do it. Should I?
I should add that the W/D/W means that I'm pretty much wedded to my big tube amp. But wouldn't mind the amp and cab models for smaller gigs going to straight to PA. My name is on the waiting list for the FM9.
Thanks all.
I got my FX8 in 2018 because I wanted to go more compact than the Voodoo Lab system w rack multi effects and racked pedals plus amp.
Love the effects in it, and it never let me down live. I recently purchased the FM9, and loving it...but haven't gigged with it yet (just got a PXM-12MP this morning). I'll never give up my favorite tube amps, but I'm looking forward to gigging with a lighter, and more versatile system.
The FM9 is a wider unit than the FX8, but I don't think it's much heavier...the PXM is way lighter than the Mesa I've been using, that's for sure.
I don't see how you could go wrong with the FM9 (or Axe-Fx III, for that matter). I just like that the FM9 is an "all in one" unit that doesn't require an additional foot controller.
Steller effects, and more of them.

I also have a WDW rig at home that I love. I started playing in a Band again about 10 months ago. I bought a FM9 Turbo because the drummer and singer are using in ears and we use backing tracks for bass and keys etc. I am still getting used to the modeller sound and may still incorporate a tube head loaded down but I am still tweaking and giving myself a chance to adapt to the modelling. I had a FX8 and bought it was very good. I would recommend the FM9. I had it setup yesterday and today in a WDW config with my Dr.Dan Plexi and 2x12 cab. I am using the Headrush 112's that I use for my monitors with the band for the wets.Having built stereo,WDW etc rigs, I can tell you it is very easy to do with the FM9. It is easier to keep noise and ground loops away. You can use IN/OUT 3 for your dry and your outputs 1 or 2 for your Wets(Wets+DRY). You can place fx before your amp in the FX loop or after the cabs if you want. If you play live ,you have backup amps in the FM9. What gear do you have and plan on using for your WDW ?

I went from FX8 to AX8 and now FM9. I've always felt Fractal's effects were absolutely on par with the best stuff out there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time Eventide fan, along with Strymon, Lexicon, TC Electronic, all the other usual suspects. I like what's in the box with my FM9, and every time I think about adding an H9 (again), or any other pedal, I always ask, why? LOL - I can get it all done with my FM9 and it usually exceeds my expectations. YMMV

Reactions: Ole
Yesterday I dug into the arpeggiator on the FX8. I needed to find out if I could find something to replace a patch on my H9 Max that is used in one of our tunes. I did. It's different for sure. But very useable. And again has such clarity that I never had with the H9. The one thing that the H9 has is a better abilityn to deal with chords. It doesn't fart out or get weird. The arpeggiator on the FX8 does something strange. I'm not exactly sure but if I play two notes it seems to pick a note somewhere in between to arpeggiate? If I play an E it will arpeggiet as expected. Play the B above and same. Play them both and I'm not sure where it goes. If I set every note to be the one note that I play I could perhaps figure that out but just knowing that it goes sideways was enough. I kept experimenting with arpeggiating my playing approach and found a workable way to attack it. I had put a synth in front of it and I think that helped somehow. Seemed to gate the notes hitting the arpeggiator. Helped clean things up even more.
@Marioverkill
The wet side of my rig currently is a pair of powered Yamaha 8" PA speakers. I've thought many times about going to 10 or 12 inchers but I've never had a problem with the 8's. And we can get loud, especially out doors. If it get's too big I'll send the wet signal to the PA also just for better dispersion. On my other pedal board I did place a Boss EQ2 directly at the end of the wet signal chain and always had a high pass shelf at around 30 Hz. But so far with the FX8 I have not found a need. I wanted that EQ after the H9 also because I found myself getting frustrated by the lack of parameters, like EQ, available in the H9 to fine tune my sounds. Not the case with the FX8. Those Yamies have never sounded better. We'll see. I have about three sets of material I need to program in. What does your wet side consist of? We should keep in touch. Not a lot of cats have I found doing W/D/W with these units. I have never been happier with my sound.

Okay, the rest of the story. I did get an invitation to buy an FM9 a while ago and didn't jump on it so I thought it was a dead deal. Yesterday after having more success with the FX8 I dug up the old invite, followed the link and it seemed like it was still valid. So I bought an FM9.:) We'll see when it actually ships. I got the confirmation email but waiting for a ship date. I figured that if I'm going to spend a whole butt load of time programming it may as well be on the FM9. I have to say that I actually enjoy programming those units. Every once in a while I hit a stumbling block but I always find the answer in the manual. If I can lose the H9, and I'm pretty sure I can, my new rig will simply be the FM9 and an expression pedal. I have been using the biggest Pedal Train board fully loaded and carried in the hard shell flight case. Probably 40 lbs. at least.
My tube amp has every drive sound that I could ever want but when I programmed in a wah wah on the FX8 tried putting a Fuzz Face after it. It sounded amazing. I will definitely program some amps and cabs on the FM9 after I get all my effects programed. I originally bought the FX8 for a specific project where we were plugging directly into an mixer/interface and doing internet broadcasts. I really did not like the drive sounds I was getting in that scenario. But that fuzz face into my 100 watt tube amp put a smile on my face.

I am currently running stereo with this band. I am hearing my guitar ,vocals and backing tracks through a pair of Headrush 112 than the drummer is supplying. I've always ran tube amps so I am still developing my Fractal sound. I am contemplating re-introducing a tube head either loaded down or using a guitar cab behind me. If I do this ,I would most likely run WDW. What amp are you using ? Keep in touch for sure.

I’m seemingly addicted to Redplate amps. My number 1 is a Redplate Magica Custom 100. Into a Mesa Boogie vertical 2x12 half back loaded with JBL E120 hemp cones. That combination is just ridiculous how good it sounds. Hot rod Marshall tones, EL34 grinding midrange. Like I said I will get around to programming some amps and cabs eventually. I want that option for first or second back up choice. But Redplate amps have such great master volumes that I can work any space at any volume and have my tone. The only real downside of such is the weight. But I refuse to let that deter me. Going to be doing some recoding soon. I’ll try to share some. My old pedalboard is on the album we just released called, Things That Go Bump In The Night by The Last Time Travelers. It doesn’t suck. But I’m convinced that the FM9 will sound even better. And it has shipped!! Can’t wait to dig in. I can see how some folks might be put off by the seeming endless parameters in the Fractals. Got to program with your ears, not your eyes. Once I was willing to let a bunch of the “advanced” parameters go I found I was getting a lot more done. I do always check those. But If theres not something jumping out saying, oh yeah!, I’ll let it go. Get things that are 90% there and move on. You can always revisit. I am still using the computer editor and the unit to program. I don’t know why. It’s like I have specific knowledge of each to do a specific task. Pretty excited about the FM9. I feel the need, the need for cpu muscle. These machines have ridiculous capacity that can be leading you into possibilities you never thought of. That’s what happened to me. Do I really need that much power? Once you realize how much of your tunes can be simplified in terms of buttons and changes to effects it’s hard to imagine going back. I thought my Boss rig was dialed in. And it was! But I find I can do even more with just the FX8.

I have done a few w/d/w rigs. I currently have this setup now:
IMG_2763.jpeg

When using WDW the only speakers active are the two Mesa 4x12s. The EVH head you see is only used as a power amp (there's actually an EVH combo you can't see and it's being used as just a power amp as well). The outer two speakers on either cab are wet; the inner two are dry; I've also done this "properly" with three cabs. I'm using just amp models and effects from the FM9 and it is glorious. The ease of setting up signal paths makes the FM9 incredibly well suited for complex rigs.

The PA speakers are some inexpensive Simmons drum amps. They're actually not bad at all but I have a pair of PXMs on the way that should be even better. If I end up loving them (very big "if" because I haven't liked any FRFRs much) I could see getting a 3rd PXM and using the trio for WDW.

I used and still have the FX8 for a long time. Probably 8 years. I bought the FM9 to go with an all in one solution. IMO, the effects in both units are on par. The big exception would be the drive and compressor models. The newer models in the FM9 sound and react better than the FX8.
I wouldn’t upgrade for effects alone. IMG_1854.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

Wow, Deadpool. That's a great setup. So a couple days into my FM9 and into my wet dry wet rig sounded amazing. Then I decided to see how good a feel I could get with an amp model . I pulled up a Spawn Nitrous, dialed the gain way back. Lots of EQing , compression. Running into my big 12" monitors and I am really impressed. Especially since I have all of about 1 hour of programming into the FM9 and barely know what the hell I'm doing. But I'm watching a lot of videos. I'm starting to think though that that idea of running into a regular guitar cab might be the way forward for me . I mean a lot of my programing is trying to make the models sound like that. Plus I don't really have a good couple of FRFR speakers to use. My monitors are rated at 30 watts I think. I'd be afraid of blowing them at a gig. But my Mesa Vertical halfback is loaded with JBL E120 hemp cones. I have to see if they change the tone much playing the same model. Might just be a matter of removing some of the EQing. I'm also experimenting with using my laptop to run Synths in Logic via an iRig HD and Midi Guitar 2. Talk about massive!! To be continued.

Wow, Deadpool. That's a great setup. So a couple days into my FM9 and into my wet dry wet rig sounded amazing. Then I decided to see how good a feel I could get with an amp model . I pulled up a Spawn Nitrous, dialed the gain way back. Lots of EQing , compression. Running into my big 12" monitors and I am really impressed. Especially since I have all of about 1 hour of programming into the FM9 and barely know what the hell I'm doing. But I'm watching a lot of videos. I'm starting to think though that that idea of running into a regular guitar cab might be the way forward for me . I mean a lot of my programing is trying to make the models sound like that. Plus I don't really have a good couple of FRFR speakers to use. My monitors are rated at 30 watts I think. I'd be afraid of blowing them at a gig. But my Mesa Vertical halfback is loaded with JBL E120 hemp cones. I have to see if they change the tone much playing the same model. Might just be a matter of removing some of the EQing. I'm also experimenting with using my laptop to run Synths in Logic via an iRig HD and Midi Guitar 2. Talk about massive!! To be continued.
I did a really cool setup at home a couple of weeks ago. I went in my FM9,put a couple FX blocks(phase 90, flanger 117, tape delay, drive) to OUT3 then into my Dr.Dan plexi into a 2x12 with Creamback 75's.
Then, I took a line out(from my Suhr RL) into IN3 of the FM9, into a cab block using Creamback IR,into pitch detune,Delay ,Reverb ,all in parallel. I sent OUT2 to my FRFR placed each side of my 2x12. Sounded awesome ! WDW !
You have the cab and the FRFR's sound great for the Wets. You just need to match an IR that is close to your dry cab or use the Dynacab maybe.

You guys are killing me. I'm stuck with trying to get a legit WDW thing going. And I'm trying to add synths from Logic Pro X into it. Keeping it simple but I can't seem to get signal into my laptop. Using an iRig HD. Signal path is in to input 1, then compressor. Side chain to output 2 right away. After that everything else works perfectly . Output 1, after drive, amp, and cab out to the dry speakers. Straight onto output 3 after reverb to the wet speakers. The iRig Hd works if I plug my guitar straight in. The synths go to the wet speakers as intended. But if the same iRig is fed by output 2, which shows massive output signal, nothing shows up on the MacBook. I just don't get it. Totally bizarre.

I have done a few w/d/w rigs. I currently have this setup now:
View attachment 125992

When using WDW the only speakers active are the two Mesa 4x12s. The EVH head you see is only used as a power amp (there's actually an EVH combo you can't see and it's being used as just a power amp as well). The outer two speakers on either cab are wet; the inner two are dry; I've also done this "properly" with three cabs. I'm using just amp models and effects from the FM9 and it is glorious. The ease of setting up signal paths makes the FM9 incredibly well suited for complex rigs.

The PA speakers are some inexpensive Simmons drum amps. They're actually not bad at all but I have a pair of PXMs on the way that should be even better. If I end up loving them (very big "if" because I haven't liked any FRFRs much) I could see getting a 3rd PXM and using the trio for WDW.
Deadpool, I've gotten everything straightened out here and have tried a number of different configurations. I have been experimenting with just going stereo instead of W/D/W. It's not as BIG sounding but still very cool. I'm curious what your's, and other's, main reason for the W/D/W rig given the also PITA factor of cartage and setup. That is a lot of gear to drag out to a gig. I have a gig next weekend and am thinking of just going stereo.

Deadpool, I've gotten everything straightened out here and have tried a number of different configurations. I have been experimenting with just going stereo instead of W/D/W. It's not as BIG sounding but still very cool. I'm curious what your's, and other's, main reason for the W/D/W rig given the also PITA factor of cartage and setup. That is a lot of gear to drag out to a gig. I have a gig next weekend and am thinking of just going stereo.
All that would be unwieldy if I was playing out. If you look at my more recent setup it's the FM9 and three EV PXM-12 monitors. That would be a lot easier to deal with and is muuuuuch simpler.

Overall the wdw thing just sounds absolutely massive and I find it more inspiring than stereo. I've heard people say it's really no different than stereo when using a modeler since you can mix the wet signal with the dry. I haven't found that to be the case though. Maybe it's just me.

Still, while I love it at home, I don't think it's all that practical for live use. I don't play out but if I did I'd almost certainly just do stereo at the most...maybe even mono depending on the gig.

Back
Top Bottom