FM9 Edit Copying and Pasting Block

Dryst08

there seems to be a bug with the latest version of the FM9 edit when copy/pasting AMP Blocks. when i copy the current amp block i have IIC+ and i paste it on a different scene or in the same scene, it always copies USA Rythm for some reason. and when copying an effects block it doesn't copy the settings, it copies the default parameters.

Last edited:
Copy the channel, never copy the block. Otherwise, this nasty surprise often happens because you're looking at a different channel than the one with the IIC+.

Copy the channel, never copy the block. Otherwise, this nasty surprise often happens because you're looking at a different channel than the one with the IIC+.
dumb question but where is that option? i only see copy block.

there seems to be a bug with the latest version of the FM9 edit when copy/pasting AMP Blocks. when i copy the current amp block i have IIC+ and i paste it on a different scene or in the same scene, it always copies USA Rythm for some reason. and when copying an effects block it doesn't copy the settings, it copies the default parameters.
What version of the firmware and Edit application are you using? If they're the current versions, did you run Settings > Refresh After New Firmware in Edit?

I'm able to copy/paste amp blocks without losing or changing the amp type. Your symptoms sound like the refresh was not done.

If you can reproduce the problem after confirming your firmware and editor versions are current and having refreshed, I'd recommend adding additional information to your first post above and attaching the preset, and flagging the subject as "Bug?" so it gets raised with the developers. Confirm the versions in that added information, along with the steps used to replicate the problem.

BTW, copying/pasting a block is something we do often, from one place in the grid to another, or between presets, to add the same block or move the settings of all channels in the block to a similar block. You can also copy channels and paste them inside the current block or into a similar block whether it's in the same preset or a different one. You can't copy them between scenes as scenes contain information about the currently active channels and whether the block is enabled/bypassed.

Otherwise, this nasty surprise often happens because you're looking at a different channel than the one with the IIC+.
That would be a user error.

We should be able to copy and paste the blocks, not just channels. A copy/paste functionality that changes the contents isn't very useful, especially with something as deep as the Amp block. Copying a channel vs. a block is a matter of granularity but it still should be done reliably.

Last edited:
That would be a user error.
One man's user error is another man's poor interface design. People were constantly confused when importing/pasting a block and not seeing the effect they expected, just like the OP here. If literally everybody is getting confused, it's hard to write that off as user error. Consequently, channel save/copy was added to help remedy this problem.

channel save/copy was added to help remedy this problem.
That's not right; it was added to prevent all channels from being copied when you only want ONE, making it easier to combine multiple presets into one. The root of this problem lies in the fact that a block's channel is set by the scene, which is external to the block.
That said, the grid context menu should probably also include "Copy Current Channel"

The root of this problem lies in the fact that a block's channel is set by the scene, which is external to the block.
That makes me wonder if a future generation of the firmware will refactor/reblend the functionality of presets/scenes/blocks/channels. It'll be interesting to see what eventually appears.

Also, it sounds like a case for a room covered with whiteboards or dry-erase paint, a lot of colored dry-erase markers, and a BIG sign saying "DO NOT ERASE!"

That makes me wonder if a future generation of the firmware will refactor/reblend the functionality of presets/scenes/blocks/channels.
Also, it sounds like a case for a room covered with whiteboards or dry-erase paint, a lot of colored dry-erase markers, and a BIG sign saying "DO NOT ERASE!"
No, it's fine the way it is. If anything, maybe PASTE for an entire block should keep track of which channel was active when you copy and which channel is active where you paste, and ask when there's a discrepancy.

Also, maybe to improve parallelism, "Copy Block" should be "Copy Block: All Channels" and "Copy Current Channel" should be "Copy Block: Current Channel"

No, it's fine the way it is. If anything, maybe PASTE for an entire block should keep track of which channel was active when you copy and which channel is active where you paste, and ask when there's a discrepancy.

Also, maybe to improve parallelism, "Copy Block" should be "Copy Block: All Channels" and "Copy Current Channel" should be "Copy Block: Current Channel"
Both are good suggestions because they'd clear up any unexpected behavior and ambiguity.

Now I'm confused....when I select copy current channel, I am only grabbing that particular channel of the block and then am able to paste it into what ever channel of a block in another preset without effecting the other channels correct?

Now I'm confused....when I select copy current channel, I am only grabbing that particular channel of the block and then am able to paste it into what ever channel of a block in another preset without effecting the other channels correct?
Yes, as long as it's a similar block. You could copy a channel from Amp 1 and paste it into a channel in Amp 2, or Delay 1 channel A into Delay 1 channel D in another preset.

The extension of this is we can save an individual channel of a block into the Block library, and recall that block's channel into another similar block's current channel. The caveat is that if you only save a channel you lose the modifiers for that block; You have to save the entire block to capture modifiers.

Yes, as long as it's a similar block. You could copy a channel from Amp 1 and paste it into a channel in Amp 2, or Delay 1 channel A into Delay 1 channel D in another preset.
Cool, That's what I thought, but the suggested change to terminology made me paranoid.

Cool, That's what I thought, but the suggested change to terminology made me paranoid.
That's the problem with trying to caption actions in a UI, especially in English, where words often have multiple meanings, alternate spellings, etc.

The good thing is we can experiment and poke at it and figure out what happens… "Oh, that worked… but… gross, never poke it there!"

That's not right; it was added to prevent all channels from being copied when you only want ONE, making it easier to combine multiple presets into one. The root of this problem lies in the fact that a block's channel is set by the scene, which is external to the block.
That said, the grid context menu should probably also include "Copy Current Channel"
Both issues were a frequent topics of conversation on the forum at the time: the desire to have finer grained control over what gets imported, and to help with the import confusion issue. I didn't mean to imply there was one and only one reason for the change.

Back
Top Bottom