FM9 Can't Do Natural Feedback Like an Amp

The original Sustainiac was a compression driver glued to the headstock.

Amazon a 'speaker exciter' and sticky it to your peghead with a class D amp.

Let me know, because I ain't done it yet. :)

As long as you have backline monitor or floor monitor you get feedback, even without cranking the volume. It's a matter of sweetspot and frequency band or EQ.

I bet we could add a variable delay in series, 100% wet, to mimic phase rotation and give us the most positive feedback at "normal" FB frequencies. I'm guessing the most common freqs are, say 100Hz-1kHz, so if we set up a delay to be adjustable between 10ms and 1ms, maybe controlled by a foot controller.

The most positive feedback would vary depending on room, distance to speakers, etc. but if this were easily adjustable on the fly at each gig, maybe feedback would be more easily available to those who want it.

What kinds of venues are you playing? Most decent FOH systems these days should get you some nice feedback if you find the right spots. Plenty of Fractal artists are on ears and quiet stages but get plenty of feedback.
Medium size clubs and bars. We usually provide sound and mix the band around 95db. A lot of outside stages along the Jersey Shore too so not a lot of reflection for feedback.

I bet we could add a variable delay in series, 100% wet, to mimic phase rotation and give us the most positive feedback at "normal" FB frequencies. I'm guessing the most common freqs are, say 100Hz-1kHz, so if we set up a delay to be adjustable between 10ms and 1ms, maybe controlled by a foot controller.

The most positive feedback would vary depending on room, distance to speakers, etc. but if this were easily adjustable on the fly at each gig, maybe feedback would be more easily available to those who want it.
Delay can work against natural feedback because the phase of the note can be 180° off from the delayed note, which cancels it and kills the feedback.

Managing/controlling it on the fly would be really hard, especially when soloing.

Delay can work against natural feedback because the phase of the note can be 180° off from the delayed note, which cancels it and kills the feedback.

Managing/controlling it on the fly would be really hard, especially when soloing.
Yeah, I'm not envisioning modulating it live, so maybe the foot controller is overkill. I was just sort of thinking that during setup/soundcheck, one could adjust the timing on that block to make feedback as easy as possible based on where they are standing/distance from monitor, etc. Then flip it on and off when desired during the performance.

Never done this and I don't know how helpful it would be IRL, so take it for what its worth. lol

Back
Top Bottom