FM3 w/ HX StompšŸ˜³

kbabb06

So I have seen numerous posts about hx vs fm3 but Im in a different boat.

I originally got an hx stomp in June to utilize the 6 blocks as effects with my tube head. After discovering the convenience of being 85ish% there tone wise, without having to lug around my tube setup, I started using hx as a standalone.

Forward to today, FM3 was delivered and I am in love with this thing!

My question is this: Id like to utilize the hx stomp as a separate delay and/or backup while gigging. How would you use an hx with your fractal setup? is there an easier way? is this a cardinal sin? I have a Morningstar mc6 that I use to switch each block on/off on the hx. id like to continue to utilize the mc6 being it is a nice amount smaller than fractals controller.

If I keep the hx, how would I set it up through the fm3? via an effects loop of some sort? does it really matter if the delay comes in to the fm3 via pre and will that mess with the tone? Or does it not matter in the digital world?

Id start the trial and error process but my hx board is dialed really nice and don't want to rip stuff off. I'm also under the gun as far as unloading some stuff as my wife doesn't know about this lol. we are in the midst of buying a house and I can't seem to stop making unwarranted purchases.. :)

I'd spend some time with the FM3 first and work out if you actually need the Stomp

You'll be surprised what you can get the unit to do once you really get to grips with it, plus having had a Stomp for a while myself the Fractal amps and effects are generally much better

...but, if you are really want to go the way with a FM3 (main) + HX Stomp (effects only), you may connect the HX Stomp like explained in the really good FM3 Manual, page 37, section "Inserting Outboard Gear". I think this may help at least for the connection stuff.

As a previous owner of the HX Stomp: I set up the HX as a backup, if something may break during a Gig, and left it there. I considered the FM3 easier to dial in, and got my sound way faster without overthinking too much.
So - it's not a cardinal sin, and depending on your needs it may help to offload some effects (which frees CPU in the FM3).

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same situation as you. What I did for fun was put the HX stomp in the loop and then used a midi cable going from stomp -> FM3. I setup the stomp in command center for the first button to turn on/off a pedal (poly capo) and then have a drive block always on (the minotaur, which fractal doesn't have a model of). This way, I can insert the loop in the FM3 wherever I want it (front of the chain in this case) and turn it on/off with scenes in the FM3 to essentially turn the drive on/off. I then have the midi setup on the other 2 buttons of the stomp to scroll up and down presets. That way I keep the FM3 on the scene layout and don't have to go back to preset layout to switch presets. In your case, you could do the same, but insert the loop in the FM3 after your amp block if you wanted to use delays. If you want to get really fancy, you can also put a midi cable from FM3 -> stomp as well, and have both devices control each other. When you change presets on the FM3, you can have it change presets on the stomp as well if you wanted different effects in the loop, or whatever combo you can imagine.

All that being said, I feel it's overkill to have the stomp as basically a midi controller. I love the minotaur on it's own when used in the helix with it's amp models, but for some reason I can't get it to sound great going into FM3 amps. Also as cool as the poly capo is, I still don't really dig it. Sounds kinda weird. I don't think that's the Helix problem, it tracks well, it's just not something I'm used to and don't now if I'll ever get used to.

Delay doesn't use much CPU on the Fractal...reverb is a big one as is anything pitch related. You could use the Stomp if you have any poly pitch effects as those use most of the Stomp resources anyway. I'd also say the reverb would be something to offload but I like the Fractal ones much more than the Helix.

I'd honestly rather just use the MC6 with the FM3 as a standalone for a little more control. And keep the Stomp as a pure backup for emergencies.

Delay doesn't use much CPU on the Fractal...reverb is a big one as is anything pitch related. You could use the Stomp if you have any poly pitch effects as those use most of the Stomp resources anyway. I'd also say the reverb would be something to offload but I like the Fractal ones much more than the Helix.

I'd honestly rather just use the MC6 with the FM3 as a standalone for a little more control. And keep the Stomp as a pure backup for emergencies.
I concur, having gone from a full Helix floor as my main device to the stomp as my main device, then finally to the FM3 as my main device. I could do almost everything I needed with the HX Stomp alone. The FM3 can do everything I need on it's own without anything else and then some. YMMV, as they say. I do intend to add an FC-6 if I ever start gigging again, but I am seriously doubting that these days. I will always keep the stomp around as a backup and for other things too though (as I am currently using this on my electric upright bass).

OP, I would use the HX Stomp as a backup. Unless you find something special on the L6 that you cant get from the FM3 you would have everything you need built into the Fm3. The only real gain would be to use it for FX only and open up some blocks in the FM3, but you would have to deal with programming two units, setting up midi to change both, line levels, etc.

Back
Top Bottom