FM3 to FM9 dual amps question

Just got my FM9T, been using the FM3 previously. My question has to do with the best way to run dual amps? Is it best to run them both into a single cab block (I'm assuming this way it would run each amp into the L and R side of the cab respectively?), or is it best to run a separate cab block for each amp?

Also, is there a good way to balance the two? It would be great to have a meter like the output block, that shows the relative levels of each side individually, but not sure how to accomplish this.

Just got my FM9T, been using the FM3 previously. My question has to do with the best way to run dual amps? Is it best to run them both into a single cab block (I'm assuming this way it would run each amp into the L and R side of the cab respectively?), or is it best to run a separate cab block for each amp?

Also, is there a good way to balance the two? It would be great to have a meter like the output block, that shows the relative levels of each side individually, but not sure how to accomplish this.
I just started playing with this and you can do it a few ways same as you mentioned 2 amps into one single cab with 2 channels
Or 2 amps into 2 cab blocks
I will say dual cabs especially if in ultra res will hit your CPU a bit
Here is Cooper explaining balancing levels

just put 2 volume blocks in front and you can switch between the 2 amps with a pedal

Attachments

• 2amps1.gif
    2amps1.gif
    320.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
i like the 2 blocks , one i have my rhythm sound , the other the solo , so i can blend in and out with the pedal. and there's enough power for the 2 blocks in the fm9

i like the 2 blocks , one i have my rhythm sound , the other the solo , so i can blend in and out with the pedal. and there's enough power for the 2 blocks in the fm9
For blending you might find a Mixer block easier to setup.... But was you know, there are multiple ways to do it :)

But I thought you meant only switching between 2 Amp blocks, not blending.

we play a lot of songs where i just need 2 sounds , so for me it's the easyest way to get there and when you have to throw in some "accents". a little sweep with the pedal and voilà. no hassle with pressing knobs twice (changing channel or scene)
sry if i didn't explain it right

Last edited:
we play a lot of songs where i just need 2 sounds , so for me it's the easyest way to get there and when you have to throw in some "accents". a little sweep with the pedal and voilà. no hassle with pressing knobs twice (changing channel or scene)
sry if i didn't explain it right
That was the point of my previous post: if you just want to switch between 2 amps directly you can assign a Control Switch to the Bypass of each Amp block, and invert Min/Max on one... One switch press :)

There's really no wrong answer here, just depends on what you're trying to achieve with the results.

I have some recording presets that have 1 amp on each side, going into their own cab blocks and entirely different cabs, when recording a double track I'll reverse the cabs so each amp ends up on each side and I really dig the results with that. Just a minute ago I made a preset sending both amps to the same cab/IR's just because I never tried it. Man I can get lost in a rabbit hole with that; the way certain amps blend with others in the same IR's is interesting and I'd almost rather fine tune a tone doing that instead of searching for that perfect IR.

I started with the JPIIC+ and dialed in a tone I dug with that, then muted it and dialed in a tone with the Das Metal running into the same IR's, sounded like a pile of ass when I had the volumes matched but when I slowly introduced the Das Metal while using the JP as the main tone, I got some really damn cool tones in there. You can blend a 2nd head in to fill in any gaps you're finding with the base tone. Man, I just got one pissed off sounding preset with that blend.

bring on the preset here . i'm curious
i blend solosounds like this by using 2 amps in another scene moving the pedal up-down.love it
:cool:

There's really no wrong answer here, just depends on what you're trying to achieve with the results.

I have some recording presets that have 1 amp on each side, going into their own cab blocks and entirely different cabs, when recording a double track I'll reverse the cabs so each amp ends up on each side and I really dig the results with that. Just a minute ago I made a preset sending both amps to the same cab/IR's just because I never tried it. Man I can get lost in a rabbit hole with that; the way certain amps blend with others in the same IR's is interesting and I'd almost rather fine tune a tone doing that instead of searching for that perfect IR.

I started with the JPIIC+ and dialed in a tone I dug with that, then muted it and dialed in a tone with the Das Metal running into the same IR's, sounded like a pile of ass when I had the volumes matched but when I slowly introduced the Das Metal while using the JP as the main tone, I got some really damn cool tones in there. You can blend a 2nd head in to fill in any gaps you're finding with the base tone. Man, I just got one pissed off sounding preset with that blend.
Try setting both amps to the same level. Add a Mixer block after and set both to 50%.

Attach an expression to the Mix of both amps and reverse Min/Max on one.

Use the expression pedal to adjust the mix while you play. The level should remain pretty even.

Loads of fun!

Back
Top Bottom