FM3 S/PDIF mode: consumer or professional?

TheTrueZoltan!

Inspired
My RME audio interface has a setting that queries whether the device connected via S/PDIF transmits data via Professional (Type I) or Consumer (Type II) mode. I have not found any information on this in the forum, the wiki or the manual. Does anyone know this?

No idea but it probably defines the way it will treat the output level of your FM3. If I remember well most professional audio systems can work at +4dB while consumer audio products work at 0dB or maybe even - 10dB. The best way to know is to set your FM3 outputs at different levels and check on your DAW how your sound card reacts in those 2 different modes. Also set your clocksource at 48kHz S/P diff on your soundcard settings.

No idea but it probably defines the way it will treat the output level of your FM3. If I remember well most professional audio systems can work at +4dB while consumer audio products work at 0dB or maybe even - 10dB. The best way to know is to set your FM3 outputs at different levels and check on your DAW how your sound card reacts in those 2 different modes. Also set your clocksource at 48kHz S/P diff on your soundcard settings.
No, the S/PDIF mode has nothing to do with level, but with the properties of the data transfer.

No, the S/PDIF mode has nothing to do with level, but with the properties of the data transfer.
How does the RME manual explain this setting because it can be quite involved? Because it gets into AES/EBU and old standards. Which unfortunately this is a case of the “standard” being many.

I would set it to professional and see what happens. If you get no audio or odd behavior try consumer. It appears most DAC’s today will output so either will work.

What I gather from this article (https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pro-consumer-s-pdif-standards-explained/) is SPDIF is consumer and AES/EBU is pro.
Yeah pretty much, but ultimately it’s depending on the period of time the terms being used because coaxial SPDIF can handle “Professional” transfer. The real problem is the terminology Professional and Consumer when it comes to audio have been bastardized by all the many manufacturers and the many types of products that use SPDIF. Like sound production audio vs. Home Theater, computer, etc. products. Electronic “standards” in most cases are whatever they’re perceived to be at the time and what part of the world they’re being discussed. If something has an IEEE SA standard then that should be what is followed if it’s up to date. IEC is another, but is more about mechanical conformity.

The most important thing at this stage of the game that will bungle things is to make sure your interface’s sample rate is set to 48 kHz when using the FM3 SPDIF output.

Back
Top Bottom