** DID IT ** FM3 Physical Level Knob .... can it be replaced ? ** YES **

ben ifin

Experienced
** SEE POST #8 BELOW **

Hi all !

As we know the main physical level knob is this:- 1719362279838.png .

My question is, can the round top head be slid off the neck / spline - so I can replace it with a more visible knob (?) -or- is the round top head and the neck / spline one-piece / permanently attached to each other ?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
No 3D printer :)

All I want to do / try -if- the round head does slip off the necl/spline, is to use a mini-chicken-head with a screw in it so I can see where my volume is at any given time much more easily.

Thanks,
Ben

There are a few companies that manufacture "knob toppers". Do a search and maybe you can find something that will fit that diameter. It's 1/2" or about 12 mm.

I would try to either find a knob topper or fabricate one. You could use a wooden dowel. Cut a cross section and then use a 1/2" drill bit to bore a recess. Paint it black, or any desired color, and include a reference mark then glue it in place.

I'm sure there are a multitude of inventive ways to fabricate one.

Not sure if this will accomplish your end goal or not, but if it does, it’s inexpensive and it prevents any damage or permanent modifications to the knob. Try using some white “correction” liquid used to modify/cover typed or printed letters on paper. Just make the white indicator on the top of the knob larger so it shows up better in low light from a standing position. This way if you need to, you can easily remove and/or reapply. This avoids the possibility of damaging the knob or shaft.

I prefer the Bic White Out Correction Fluid Pens for more accurate work. You can just extend and thicken the existing white level indicator from the outer edge to the center of the knob. I guess you could also use fingernail polish or paint, but this might not be so easy to remove later.

Just some random thoughts on an otherwise sleepless morning! 😂😂😂

Last edited:
it would be so beatifull to have the option of set the global volume in the settings instead of the physical pot, because is very easy to move it and forget to set up fine again before the gig. To me is better to have exactly the same global volume for all the gigs. There would be great if we can select to use external pot or a fixed percentage for global volume in settings at least in out 1.

The knob can be removed, but you may need a custom knob to reach the recessed stem. If I were you I'd design and print an adapter to go to from the stem to your chicken head.

Thannks all !

Way .. way ... easier than I thought.

-> existing Stock Knob slides of smoothly [and slowly]
-> the existing stock knob sits and slides on to a standard D-Spline
-> grabbed an existing Chicken Head Knob I had laying around
-> I flat-sanded about 2 - 3 mm of the base of the Chicken Head Knob so it grabbed the D-Spline more fully
-> stuck a small small piece cellophane sticky tape either side of the D-Spline to avoid any possible chassis scratching - flash makes the sticky tape stand out in the picture but in reality, its %99 invisible
-> screwed the Chicken Head Grub screw into the "flat" of the D - Spline Shaft

Mounts and sits perfectly and the best part / reason I did it. is so I can clearly see at any given time when on stage where my FM3 volume is and being a Chicken head knob its totally one-finger tunable and adjustable up or down during a show as/if needed.

I preset to you the " The Limited Edition FM3 Chicken Head Volume Knob Model " - a strictly limited production run of 1 unit world wide :)

1719492991799.jpeg

Ben

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom