FM3 in stereo?

born2lift

Inspired
Can I run the FM3 in stereo using stereo internal effects? Or is the limit of only being able to one amp block keep me from doing so?
I have a VHT 2902 stereo power amp running into two Mesa 2x12s.

Can I run the FM3 in stereo using stereo internal effects? Or is the limit of only being able to one amp block keep me from doing so?
I have a VHT 2902 stereo power amp running into two Mesa 2x12s.
See p. 6 and Section 4 in the manual. Section 4 shows many configurations of the unit with the option of running in stereo. The Blocks guide talks about which blocks affect the stereo processing.

One thing I do when running one amp in the Axe III, and I assume you can do it on the FM, is use two of the same IR in the cab block, then pan them, and mis align them. Try it, you might like it. :) cab 1.jpgcab 2.jpg

Last edited:
I’m using two Mesa 2x12s so I won’t be using cab blocks
Are they each powered by a different amp? That is, can your power amp do Stereo? Because if so, then you’d just put the output block after your stereo effects and you’d have a stereo sound. But no, if you’re going out to your power amp after the amp, it won’t be stereo.

Are they each powered by a different amp? That is, can your power amp do Stereo? Because if so, then you’d just put the output block after your stereo effects and you’d have a stereo sound. But no, if you’re going out to your power amp after the amp, it won’t be stereo.
My power amp is a stereo VHT 2/90/2.

Do you have to have output 1 and output 2 blocks after the stereo effects?

As @Blix stated, you only need one output block. Each output block provides a stereo output which will translate any stereo processing you have.

I didn't see anyone explicitly mention this, but make sure any stereo effects you are using are AFTER the amp block. The amp blocks are mono, so anything going into it either gets summed or you can select which channel to put into it, so any stereo effect in front of the amp block is lost. Thus the output is also mono. You can push this into stereo effects and then to the output to get what you are looking for.

TheloniusJ beat me to it - put your stereo effects AFTER the Amp block (I put mine after the Cab block). Any stereo effects before the Amp block will collapse to mono, and the results can be janky at times. Also, be sure to use both L and R outputs, otherwise you’ll be getting only one side of the stereo image.

Back
Top Bottom