FM 9 re-amping in ProTools with UAD Apollo

mjjohnson

So, my setup is a bit complicated. I'm using ProTools, and my main interface is an Apollo 8p. I'm trying to see if I can re-amp without having to switch to the FM 9 as my interface. The main reason for this, btw, is that when I tried to switch to the FM9 as the interface, I was having trouble running my sessions, which tend to be pretty large. The Apollo has optical spdif ports, so I ordered a couple of coax-to-optical converters. I made sure in the UAD console app that the optical ports were set to spdif rather than ADAT. I was getting signal in the console app, and I could hear it as well. In ProTools I/O setup, I made sure inputs and outputs 9-10 were set to go to the digital I/O. Then, I set the output of my DI track to 9-10, and the input of the recording track to 9-10, and no signal at all. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, with the I/O, but I can't figure it out.
Interestingly, I'm running the newest version of ProTools, so I set up the FM9 as an aux I/O. I was able to reamp, but the tracks had negative latency, i.e., the recorded tracks were earlier than the original DI track! I'm not sure how that happened, and it freaked me out a bit. I saw nothing in the new release notes for PT indicating it was capable of time travel. Also, I wasn't sure how to set word clock on the FM9 in this instance, since the only options are Internal and SPDIF. Maybe I need to keep my SPDIF cables attached and set Word clock on the FM9 to SPDIF? My other thought is that if I'm going to try to reamp via USB maybe it's just better to set it up in ProTools aggregate I/O, since that should take care of the word clock, and just make sure to check one or the other for drift correction.
I'm hoping someone on the forum has a similar system, and that maybe you have found answers to one of these questions. Thanks in advance!

It's not capable of time travel :), but the latency compensation in PT sometimes doesn't work properly.

Anyway, here are instructions for what you're trying to do:

Setup. See configuration #4 or #5 in this recording guide. Yes, an aggregate generally works better than spdif, so I'd recommend trying #4 first. I'd recommend an OS aggregate, but a PT aggregate generally works just as well:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Reamping instructions:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-re-amping-tutorial.190686/

Great, thanks again! Yeah I had seen number 5, but I didn’t notice that number 4 was actually what I was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom