Floyd Rose Torque

Dale Alan Bryant

What the Floyd Rose, really, needs - is a dedicated, torque-wrench, for its various types of screws!
Each, screw-type, on the FR, requires its own, specific, range of torque. One of the most-asked questions related to the Floyd Rose, is: How tight is too tight?
With beginners, it's only going to be so, long, before they give up in frustration, after they've stripped out most of their female, saddle, string-lock threads - or - 'mush-roomed', their saddle, insert-blocks, because of too much screw pressure!

What the Floyd Rose, really, needs - is a dedicated, torque-wrench, for its various types of screws!
Each, screw-type, on the FR, requires its own, specific, range of torque. One of the most-asked questions related to the Floyd Rose, is: How tight is too tight?
With beginners, it's only going to be so, long, before they give up in frustration, after they've stripped out most of their female, saddle, string-lock threads - or - 'mush-roomed', their saddle, insert-blocks, because of too much screw pressure!
I guess if your mechanically challenged.
The rest of us do just fine as is...

I guess if your mechanically challenged.
The rest of us do just fine as is...
I am also new to the floyd. As with most things less is more. If you need more torque then ok, but start with less and try not to break anything. I have had strings slip out, which may be a torque + not putting in the clipped string properly thing. I had my luthier block it (i liked the rest of the guitar). But i really like how solid the tuning is. At some point i will go to a half block, then who knows what will happen 😄.

Cheap floyds are not meant to go the long haul or be on a touring guitar IMHO. German made ones are way sturdier, but you dont need that much torque on them in the first place, less than you would think you need. But most don't think there is a difference between cheap and good German floyds.

Cheap floyds are not meant to go the long haul or be on a touring guitar IMHO. German made ones are way sturdier, but you dont need that much torque on them in the first place, less than you would think you need. But most don't think there is a difference between cheap and good German floyds.
%100
Moderate torque is fine.
The Schaller one has a cast plate with hardened steel knife edges. It works fine but has a bit warmer tone I've read. They now have the Locmister version which is like an upgraded Floyd original (that they also make for Floyd).

%100
Moderate torque is fine.
The Schaller one has a cast plate with hardened steel knife edges. It works fine but has a bit warmer tone I've read. They now have the Locmister version which is like an upgraded Floyd original (that they also make for Floyd).
All German Floyd’s are made by Schaller. Always have been. The Lockmeister is a Schaller branded OFR.

Back a million years ago Floyd told me squeaky tight. This is still basically true but you can overdo it. The advice changed because of shity copies and softer metal even in the original. I would recommend you always you a regular hex key so you can get used to the same feel. It still needs to be tight though, so tight that it is close to stripping out a Floyd Special on the first sting change.

Back
Top Bottom