First Practice With Axe-Fx Ultra

brettllingle

Inspired
Well I used the Ultra today at practice and it sounded good the only thing I noticed was the lead tone wasn't as fat as my full blown tube rig basically a Mesa Quad, Studio Pre through a 2:90. For the Ultra I am using a 2:90 to power 2 Mesa Rectifier 4x12's. The problem was solved though at the end when I realized I had the cab and power amp sims on the whole time. When I turned them off the thing was really screaming then! The weird thing is I have two Mesa 1x12's I am using at home and with those I have to have them on or it sounds real fizzy. I figured the speakers in the 1x12's must be pretty transparent. They are the Black Shadows I think celestion 90c's or something like that the 4x12's have celestion vintage 30's in them. Anyways thought I would post that I am pretty happy with the sound in both circumstances just have to tweak a few parameters between the two setups.

Yeah, it's like any rig, you cannot play by yourself and find out exactly how things work out until you're in the band situation.

And I find that leaving some of those things on are great at low volumes, but you find all the flaws when you crank it up. No substitute ever for LOUD playing...

brettllingle said:
Well I used the Ultra today at practice and it sounded good the only thing I noticed was the lead tone wasn't as fat as my full blown tube rig basically a Mesa Quad, Studio Pre through a 2:90. For the Ultra I am using a 2:90 to power 2 Mesa Rectifier 4x12's. The problem was solved though at the end when I realized I had the cab and power amp sims on the whole time. When I turned them off the thing was really screaming then! The weird thing is I have two Mesa 1x12's I am using at home and with those I have to have them on or it sounds real fizzy. I figured the speakers in the 1x12's must be pretty transparent. They are the Black Shadows I think celestion 90c's or something like that the 4x12's have celestion vintage 30's in them. Anyways thought I would post that I am pretty happy with the sound in both circumstances just have to tweak a few parameters between the two setups.

In my experince what sounds great and smooth by itself is usually getting lost in the band's mix and vice versa...

Mik.

Back
Top Bottom