First Impression (REVIEW) Axe FX3 TURBO & FC12 (jan 2022)

musicman0001

Experienced
PERSONAL NOTE
I played and practice with AXE FX 2 daily. I'm not playing live. Mostly I play my sounds which I try to lay in the mix so I can hear myself AND with spotify. I have seen many many YouTube vids and reviews online and in this forum. Within this review I am not a first user of Fractal but an AXE2 user used to tweaking indepth to get my sound and feel. I haven't read the MANUAL yet. Only the quick guide! But I'm in no way a beginner. Seen plenty of vids from Leon Todd and others on the cygnus family. So it's my personal view as an UPGRADE to the AXE 3 TURBO from the AXE FX 2 MKI.

I LOVE the AXE FX 3 MK2 Turbo (but my ears and hands needed to get used to it!)

What I received:

AXE FX III Turbo
FC12 Footcontroller
USB Cable
XLR Cable
Power Cable
(Merci chocolate, G66 T-shirt, personal envelope with my name on it (!))

First Setup:

Just USB in PC, out1 to Headrush, Guitar in from front. Of course first the windows USB driver, FX3 edit and Fractal Robot and I could play immediately with the installed presets. Also fw 18.3 was already loaded.

So: very easy to setup but definitely feels and sounds different to the Axe FX2 MK1 ARES

First impression:

I have never really liked the factory presets as I find them a little dark and I still do, but they are a nice startingpoint. I'm sure they will sound better on higher volume as I'm not using a super loud set-up and also distance to speakers is less then 1 meter. More a small studio environment.

Making a preset I always use AXE Edit. And it's real easy (especially when coming from FX2). And making my first preset with the amps I know and used a lot in fx2 I finally felt like OK this feels different and sounds different BUT the FEEL is super great!! Also no heavy tweaking needed.

Differences & findings (based upon unboxing and first impression!):​
  • It has a real nice feel. The amp feel with the strings is more smooth and feels like the notes are more rolling. The specific roll and attack I get from real tube amps. With the fx2 I had to do more indepth tweaking to get that sound and feel.
  • It has a more hifi like sound and less scratchy gainy highs. I have to get used to it as my ears are used to the fx2. But it looks also like more dynamic, especially in the highs
  • Less tweaking to get an instant tone and more in the mix without lots of tweaking!
  • Pitch Virtual Capo: I can feel a little latency when I switch back and forth to engage or bypass the block. I have to note that I'm real sensitive to latency. Especially with TV and playing guitar. But it's certainly usable. And i'm sure also the string sound out of tune and I can hear when I hit the strings will not help. So I will try also with headphones. PS: I never had a real drop/pitch pedal other then line6 PodHD, G-system or Fractal. On the fx2 there was way too much latency and never used it other then detune. So I can not compare with other pitchshifters or whammy's. But I alway's noticed latency on modelled whammy's or pitchshifters. With the Axe FX 3 it seems to have to me the best latency so far as it's almost barely noticable after you play with it for some time
  • Axe Edit has "changed a lot". And super to have integrated FC stuff.
  • A lot of cabinets IRs to work with (loads and loads)
  • More amps and pedals ;)
  • A "big difference" in how tone changes with the knobs. So the normal behaviour I got with the fx2 is worthless. And I'm talking about the nuances of the tone and sound. As an instant likable amptone is way easy with fx3 but the final touch (saturation, presence, mids, low, treble, etc.. is different (behaves or sounds different).
  • It feels like Cygnes is a little more hifi and easier in the mix without tweaking indepth parameters. It feels also more smooth and lesser gain in a sense. So Cygnes and Ares are definitely a big change in sound and feel. My ears are so used to my sounds, so my ears are looking for something similar. Sometimes I find it a little too smooth and hifi.But I'm sure I will get used to it as I LOVE the amp feel which to me is the biggest difference. Instant tube roll and feel.
  • Getting the FC12 up and running was too me (and still is) a challenge. Only the upper screen shows changes. So I can see something happening hahaha. Everything else I really have to take some time. Also factory presets do not do anything other then upper screen showing names of preset and scene. (Edit -> What I ment here is that the installation is very easy, but to understand how it works without manual or quick read and not get it working is mainly my mistake as I messed up the contrast to see if something was there, but forgot to set it back. This was the reason I could not read it anymore)
  • The Front Lay-out has changed a lot. Have to figure everything out. I still have not found a button or page where I can set the input of guitar to tickle the red.
  • The output of the FX3 seems to have changed and differs from the fx2. As I used the fx2 also as an soundcard with active ADAMS monitors and HEADRUSH 108. Not only for guitar, but also for music. The music from spotify that I alway's play felt different as well through the HEADRUSH. More open and better in the high end frequenties. Of course this could be placebo.........
  • AXE Edit is frequently updating changes from the hardware, which is sometimes very annoying and takes "quite a long time" (Edit: easy to change in the settings in the axe fx and axe edit)
So there is defenitly a lot exploring to do. Ears to get used to Cygnes. But the first impression is: Noticable Improvement on the FEEL and BEHAVIOUR of the amps in relation to tube amps. A monster of IO and possibilities! But most I already knew as I follow the forum daily since I am a Fractal-fan (some years now). And I also follow my australian "friend" @2112 Leon Todd and many others on you tube.

Now the journey starts to get to know this beast and make presets as I found out that trying to get the fx2 presets over to fx3 is possible, but the result is not in line with expectations (like what I also experienced in trying presets from other people from AxeChange). Fletcher, guitars, frfr, room and of course the fingers never makes that I am happy with the result (Except Fremens syth pinkfloyd). And also Leon Todds cabinet and preset's are usable as he has less dark sounding preset and cabinet.

Tips and feedback always very welcome. I'm a long time forum reader. Looking forward on funny or inspirational replies.

(Edit) new users, but more for AXE 2 users: It is a lot of money, but it's worth it!.
When you are hesitating and you have the money: MAKE THE JUMP, it's worth the extra's and horsepower!!
The sound but mainly the TUBE feel is indeed BETTER then ARES with LESS tweaking

Anyway's a good start of 2022!!!!

Cheers,
Musicman0001
Friesland (end of the world)
The Netherlands/North of Holland.

Last edited:
I totally forgot:

• pre ARES presets shimmer stuff hit above 80% (around 85 or 90 even) in the FX2 and the AXE FX III MK2 Turbo hits 45%
  • OLD preset (ARES or earlier) will NOT sound good in the CYGNUS or at least not sound the same as intended!

What I received:

AXE FX III Turbo
FC12 Footcontroller
USB Cable
XLR Cable
Power Cable

First Setup:

Just USB in PC, out1 to Headrush, Guitar in from front. Of course first the windows USB driver, FX3 edit and Fractal Robot and I could play immediately with the installed presets. Also fw 18.3 was already loaded.

So: very easy to setup but definitely feels and sounds different to the Axe FX2 MK1 ARES

First impression:

I have never really liked the factory presets as I find them a little dark and I still do, but they are a nice startingpoint. I'm sure they will sound better on higher volume as I'm not using a super loud set-up and also distance to speakers is less then 1 meter. More a small studio environment.

Making a preset I always use AXE Edit. And it's real easy (especially when coming from FX2). And making my first preset with the amps I know and used a lot in fx2 I finally felt like OK this feels different and sounds different BUT the FEEL is super great!! Also no heavy tweaking needed.

Differences & findings:​
  • It has a real nice feel. The amp feel with the strings is more smooth and feels like the notes are more rolling. The specific roll and attack I get from real tube amps. With the fx2 I had to do more indepth tweaking to get that sound and feel.
  • It has a more hifi like sound and less scratchy gainy highs. I have to get used to it as my ears are used to the fx2. But it looks also like more dynamic, especially in the highs
  • Less tweaking to get an instant tone
  • Pitch Virtual Capo: I can feel a little latency when I switch back and forth to engage or bypass the block. I have to note that I'm real sensitive to latency. Especially with TV and playing guitar. But it's certainly usable. And i'm sure also the string sound out of tune and I can hear when I hit the strings will not help. So I will try also with headphones. PS: I never had a real drop/pitch pedal other then line6 PodHD, G-system or Fractal. On the fx2 there was way too much latency and never used it other then detune. So I can not compare with other pitchshifters or whammy's. But I alway's noticed latency on modelled whammy's or pitchshifters. With the Axe FX 3 it seems to have to me the best latency so far as it's almost barely noticable after you play with it for some time
  • Axe Edit has "changed a lot". And super to have integrated FC stuff.
  • A lot of cabinets IRs to work with
  • More amps and pedals ;)
  • A "big difference" in how tone changes with the knobs. So the normal behaviour I got with the fx2 is worthless. And I'm talking about the nuances of the tone and sound. As an instant likable amptone is way easy with fx3 but the final touch (saturation, presence, mids, low, treble, etc.. is different (behaves or sounds different).
  • It feels like Cygnes is a little more hifi and easier in the mix without tweaking indepth parameters. It feels also more smooth and lesser gain in a sense. So Cygnes and Ares are definitely a big change in sound and feel. My ears are so used to my sounds, so my ears are looking for something similar. Sometimes I find it a little too smooth and hifi.But I'm sure I will get used to it as I LOVE the amp feel which to me is the biggest difference. Instant tube roll and feel.
  • Getting the FC12 up and running was too me (and still is) a challenge. Only the upper screen shows changes. So I can see something happening hahaha. Everything else I really have to take some time. Also factory presets do not do anything other then upper screen showing names of preset and scene.
  • The Front Lay-out has changed a lot. Have to figure everything out. I still have not found a button or page where I can set the input of guitar to tickle the red.
  • The output of the FX3 seems to have changed and differs from the fx2. As I used the fx2 also as an soundcard with active ADAMS monitors and HEADRUSH 108. Not only for guitar, but also for music. The music from spotify that I alway's play felt different as well through the HEADRUSH. More open and better in the high end frequenties. Of course this could be placebo.........
  • AXE Edit is frequently updating changes from the hardware, which is sometimes very annoying and takes "quite a long time".
So there is defenitly a lot exploring to do. Ears to get used to Cygnes. But the first impression is: Noticable Improvement on the FEEL and BEHAVIOUR of the amps in relation to tube amps. A monster of IO and possibilities! But most I already knew as I follow the forum daily since I am a Fractal-fan (some years now). And I also follow my australian "friend" @2112 Leon Todd and many others on you tube.

Now the journey starts to get to know this beast and make presets as I found out that trying to get the fx2 presets over to fx3 is possible, but the result is not in line with expectations (like what I also experienced in trying presets from other people from AxeChange). Fletcher, guitars, frfr, room and of course the fingers never makes that I am happy with the result (Except Fremens syth pinkfloyd). And also Leon Todds cabinet and preset's are usable as he has less dark sounding preset and cabinet.

Tips and feedback always very welcome. I'm a long time forum reader. Looking forward on funny or inspirational replies.

Anyway's a good start of 2022!!!!

Cheers,
Musicman0001
Friesland (end of the world)
The Netherlands/North of Holland.
  • AXE Edit is frequently updating changes from the hardware, which is sometimes very annoying and takes "quite a long time".
Go into your preference settings, uncheck the "read names and cabs at startup" and you can stop it from reading all that every time you open Edit. If I understand what you are seeing, this may help. Enjoy, it is a magical piece of gear for sure.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 19
No button for guitar input level on the III to get there on the front panel push the E knob (SETUP) then scroll to I / O, then press ENTER. Should be in the first menu Input.

Did you setup the FC-12 in the Axe-Fx setup menu. Maybe reading the manual would help not to write that something doesn’t work as expected… sorry but I can not stand anymore people who didn’t read the manual before posting…
However thanks for your first feeling with the units: it can only get better 😉

Last edited:
Did you setup the FC-12 in the Axe-Fx setup menu. Maybe reading the manual would help not to write that something doesn’t work as expected… sorry but I can not stand anymore people who didn’t read the manual before posting…
However thanks for your first feeling with the units: if can only get better 😉
Hi Diego,

I'm writing this from fx2 to fx3 perspective. And as a first impression. And i do know there is a wiki and a manual and loads of youtube vids.

If i was a first time user the axe fx 3 is a super beast. And to me the best modeller i have ever worked with. So an open honest review.

The reason for not seeing the little leds was my own stupid mistake as i found out yesterday that it was actually working but i changed the contrast and it was blocking text to show up.

Im not a fractal basher, but fractal fanboy 😉

Maybe reading the manual would help not to write that something doesn’t work as expected… sorry but I can not stand anymore people who didn’t read the manual before posting…
That's a bit harsh. I understand what you are saying and I am also a manual reader but not everybody wants to read the whole manual before starting to play. Especially not online manuals. So there is something to say for that.

Hi Diego,

I'm writing this from fx2 to fx3 perspective. And as a first impression. And i do know there is a wiki and a manual and loads of youtube vids.

If i was a first time user the axe fx 3 is a super beast. And to me the best modeller i have ever worked with. So an open honest review.

The reason for not seeing the little leds was my own stupid mistake as i found out yesterday that it was actually working but i changed the contrast and it was blocking text to show up.

Im not a fractal basher, but fractal fanboy 😉
Good to know but put in another perspective: if you were a new user what do you think when FAS says that the FC connection with FM3 and Axe-Fx III is plug&play and you read what you write "Getting the FC12 up and running was too me (and still is) a challenge". I read the "to me" words but it's not what everybody see in that phrase. I receive every day many requests about "I read on the web/forum/FB this or that....." and many times are just wrong information.
About your review I've already written that (except what I just said) it was a good and sincere one. Enjoy your unit!

Good to know but put in another perspective: if you were a new user what do you think when FAS says that the FC connection with FM3 and Axe-Fx III is plug&play and you read what you write "Getting the FC12 up and running was too me (and still is) a challenge". I read the "to me" words but it's not what everybody see in that phrase. I receive every day many requests about "I read on the web/forum/FB this or that....."

He writes especially 'to me' and it is his personal review. What more can you do? If other people read it differently that is their problem. Otherwise you can't do any review anymore.

That's a bit harsh. I understand what you are saying and I am also a manual reader but not everybody wants to read the whole manual before starting to play. Especially not online manuals. So there is something to say for that.
I didn't want to be harsh so sorry to the OP for that.
In my opinion manual come first ever (even before FB.... another thing that I can't stand: "I read it on Facebook"....).
If I should have a problem with my gear I first check the manual (not FB) and then I post a critics or a bug.
But this is just my idea, don't want to chenge your mind.

In my opinion manual come first ever (even before FB.... another thing that I can't stand: "I read it on Facebook"....).
If I should have a problem with my gear I first check the manual (not FB) and then I post a critics or a bug.
Yes I am like that too but not everybody is the same :)

Great review. Helpful for stubborn Axe fx II users like me. :) Thanks!
Hi Bodde,

It was on my wishlist from the start, but the price was a bit steep for my budget. But i'm really GLAD I made the jump!

The AXE FX 3 is much easier to dail in. It has a great response and tube feel. It's easier in the MIX.

And the OPTIONS seems endless hahaha ;)

However thanks for your first feeling with the units: it can only get better 😉
Have changed my introduction.

It's my personal review and LOVE the FC12 and the AXE FX. I have written it from an unboxing perspective not a long use review and upgrading from axefx 2. So I'm not a beginner. And as I stated (and now edit) later, it was MY mistake. And in no means did want to bash the FC12 or AXE FX. I have no interest in line6 or kemper or the new hype from QC. I'm sure in the future they will all have similar stuff. But reading the internet he AXE FX 3 is on the topline of modellers. And all the rest is a matter of TASTE!

The last 2 or 3 years (maybe COVID related) there is more "fighting" or misunderstanding each other in the forum. Although I have not reacted much the last 3 years. I do read the forum almost daily!. So I'm also not new to the forum.

Hope this will change for the better as I always thought that this forum is a GREAT way to learn and come up with new idea's and an inspiration. I do not like negative vibes or fights. But I hope I may have an opinion ;)

I did read the quick manual that was included. I did download the manual(s). AND it was not my intention to say it's not working, it is my honest opinion after unboxing and have it set up, installed and used.

I alway's start without a manual.
And only when I can not solve it will take the manual.
And sometimes I will place a message or question on the Forum. I like video's and trying to get it done myself.

But we do differ:
I do not like online reading from a screen that much. Not on work. Not in my personal life. So online manuals I always use when I can not solve it by trying or finding a quick solution on the internet.

And it's OK for me that not every one is the same ;)

Good review, enjoy that unit, should last you many good years, just make sure to change the oil after every update and rotate them cables yearly🤘🏼🚗

Back
Top Bottom