First Gig w/ 7.0!

benjam

My band played our first gig with 7.0 installed back on V-day. A quick refresher - I've been very happy with my tone since moving from a Vox AC30 back in Nov '07 to the Axe w/ Carvin & Marshall 4x12 and finally to FRFR with the JBL PRX512M. I've played probably 6 gigs FRFR and haven't looked back.

Against Cliff's expert advice, I upgraded to 7.0 on the Tuesday before the Saturday gig. I payed close attention to the forum to make sure no showstoppers were popping up. At first, I was a bit frustrated as the upgrade changed the tone dramatically. It took lots of tweaking. When I finally finished up the tweaking Sat morning before the gig that night, I was mostly satisfied but would've liked more time.

The gig. From the first note, I was completely blown away with the tone. It was so responsive and dynamic - I don't think I really noticed this until getting in front of a crowd and having that influence. I had replaced my Fender Brownface clean tones with the Dr. Z and was worried when tweaking - but they delivered at the gig. Sounded exactly like what I had pictured in my head the prior week.

I know from the pic I attached, it may look like I'm not impressed with the tone - but I was. Seriously. That's just me. My wife (lead singer) makes up for my lack of stage presence![attachment=0:3awsyk9x]DSC_0327.JPG[/attachment:3awsyk9x][attachment=1:3awsyk9x]DSC_0227.JPG[/attachment:3awsyk9x]

Attachments

• DSC_0227.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 968
  • DSC_0327.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 972
Great pics - glad it worked out! Firmware just before a gig is something I've not done. Day after? Many times.

You guys were talking up 7.0 so much I couldn't resist. I didn't tell my band I had done it until afterwards-I did it before a practice once when there was a bug that mapped the global eq to a CC msg - that was ugly. No problems this time.

You are definitely a brave soul to upgrade the firmware right before a show...glad it worked out!
And it's great to know there's another Lexingtonian on the forum. I was just over at Wilcutt's today trying out some guitars through my Ultra....word is definitely getting out about Fractal products, as I met a couple of people there who had already heard of the axe-fx.
Horse and Barrel looks like a nice venue. I haven't been there, but I'll definitely check it out.
What's your band's name?

Awesome, great to hear from someone else around here. The band is chadFrancisco. We play mostly covers - 80s rock thru new stuff.

If the Willcutt guys are talking about the Axe, it must be the real deal! ;)

Back
Top Bottom