First day with the MFC101

skracus

Inspired
It arrived this afternoon. Very nice construction and very intuitive and simple to use. Really like the LED's. Was able to do most of my programming with minimal use of the manual (nice job Cliff!) I had been using the LF Pro but sold it for the smaller footprint of the MFC. Axe-Fx mode is hands down stupid easy if you choose to go that way. In a future version of the firmware I would love to see a preset mode with Axe-Fx mode "off" that still polled all "Axe-Fx" IA switches so that we could have the bi-colored led's on those IA's that are assigned to the Axe-Fx. I tend to use my foot controller as the brain of the rig with several presets on the controller manipulating IA's and just a handful of presets on the Axe-Fx (except for those special tones of course) I'm also using a Mesa Mark V and a handful of pedals in the rack so I need IA's for the Axe-Fx as well as the amp and pedals. Make no mistake, it will control all of that with ease, just no bi-colored LED's in that particular method of operation as far as I can tell. No biggy...just wishful thinking. :D

Another great product from Fractal Audio. Thanks guys.

Steve

skracus said:
I would love to see a preset mode with Axe-Fx mode "off" that still polled all "Axe-Fx" IA switches so that we could have the bi-colored led's on those IA's that are assigned to the Axe-Fx.

I don't understand what would change if this were the case besides a) being able to have the name of the MFC preset be different from that of the Axe-Fx preset, and b) having the option to have a particular MFC preset NOT send a program change message to the Axe-Fx (I've heard two other people asking for this). Unless I'm missing something, the latter alone (allowing OFF in the MFC->Axe-Fx preset map) might be easier than adding a whole mode. Is there something else I'm not thinking of?

It would make programming a little easier.

I prefer to use controller-defined presets (versus Axe-Fx presets). This means that I can't use Axe-Fx mode to its full extent because the state of IA's is defined on the controller and not on the Axe-Fx. But if there's a way for the MFC to somehow poll and show which effects blocks are "present" (not: on/off) in the current Axe-Fx preset, it makes programming the MFC a little easier.

PS.1 Correct me if my facts are wrong, I currently haven't got a MFC yet, it's on order.
PS.2 Are you perhaps Matt Picone (Gordius user group)? ;-)

Hi Matman,

Yek hit it on the head. For me the controller is the way to go because I can get many variations out of one Axe-Fx preset by shuffling which IA's are active at the beginning of a "controller" preset. Really all I was talking about was having two states for the LED for IA's that are assigned to the Axe-Fx. That's really all it gives you. A little "cool" factor that's all. Just eye candy and Yek is probably right that it would make programming a little easier.

Steve

Yes, Yek, that's me! I have been friendly with Xavier for years :)

I am still missing something here. Steve mentions that he wants to be able to POLL the Axe-Fx (meaning preset states are saved in the Axe-Fx...) while you talk about wanting the pedalboard in charge.

Are you both suggesting that the MFC-101 should be able to poll the Axe-Fx merely to determine if effects are present or not, and then have the local MFC-101 preset IA Switch settings actually send ON/OFF messages back to those blocks it finds?

Matman said:

I am still missing something here. Steve mentions that he wants to be able to POLL the Axe-Fx (meaning preset states are saved in the Axe-Fx...) while you talk about wanting the pedalboard in charge.

Are you both suggesting that the MFC-101 should be able to poll the Axe-Fx merely to determine if effects are present or not, and then have the local MFC-101 preset IA Switch settings actually send ON/OFF messages back to those blocks it finds?

Yes. Seems redundant I know but would this not be the only way to have both states of the LED for the Axe-Fx IA's

An easier solution would be to have the option of having the red LED on when the general use IA switch is in its off state as well as the option of having the LED disabled if the controller preset was not making use of an IA. This would not need to use the Axe-Fx mode as previously mentioned.

Example

General Use IASW1 controls a EVH Phase 90

Red LED= Off
Green LED= On
No LED= Not used in the preset (Not sure if this option is necessary)

Matman said:

Indeed, M@.
It's like a sync/handshake process while editing (in non Axe-Fx mode), where the MFC asks the Axe-FX: "Tell me which effect blocks you've got". Consecutively the user only has to take care of programming those IA switches.
Should take away the need to verify manually that a local MFC presets covers all effect blocks in the corresponding Axe-Fx preset.

Back
Top Bottom