Firmware upgrade? Yes or No?

dakotadv

Ok so I think somebody needs to talk me into a firmware upgrade. My only real reason right now is the X99 preamp which I seem to recall as being a part of 7.?? it is right?
Anyway I have some questions???? Here goes:
How long does it take to load everything?
I have one of those Roland/Edirol cables, ya know midi in/out /USB ....I have the Axe fx editor and boone's and midi ox......... What is the best way to proceed? One bank at at time? Whose program is the easy one?
I have moved a bunch of the presets around so they work in my little peanut brain and midi "banks" in a way that makes sense to me, I guess I will need to redo that when I am done yes? That is ok np there.
For all of you who have done this.....was it worth it?
What about all my "other" settings ie controllers etc.
Can I "save" my exsisting banks in a file on my computer, just in case?
(I am a midiot and only somewhat computer functional)
Anybody willing to adopt me long enough to get me through all this?

Thanks folks

dakotadv said:
Ok so I think somebody needs to talk me into a firmware upgrade. My only real reason right now is the X99 preamp which I seem to recall as being a part of 7.?? it is right?
Anyway I have some questions???? Here goes:
How long does it take to load everything?
A few minutes, once you establish a reliable midi path
I have one of those Roland/Edirol cables, ya know midi in/out /USB ....I have the Axe fx editor and boone's and midi ox......... What is the best way to proceed? One bank at at time? Whose program is the easy one?
I use SendSX, but others succeed with MidiOX. And beware not to confuse the firmware update (which I think is your primary question) versus reinstalling the new/revised factory presets (which would concern your question about how many banks at a time). If you have done some work on your banks, do NOT reload the factory banks, as they will wipe out everything in your banks.
I have moved a bunch of the presets around so they work in my little peanut brain and midi "banks" in a way that makes sense to me, I guess I will need to redo that when I am done yes? That is ok np there.
No. Updating the firmware will *NOT* affect any of your existing banks on your Axe-FX. Only uploading the revised factory presets would wipe out your banks. It's still a good idea to back up your banks (just in case), but usually the firmware update has no effect on banks.
For all of you who have done this.....was it worth it?
Absolutely. Right now, I'm delaying the update just because I want to be sure I have a reliable replacement for the Recto2 cab which disappeared in 7.06. But normally, I always do the updates. It's easy and well worth it.
What about all my "other" settings ie controllers etc.
All of that generally remains unaffected.
Can I "save" my exsisting banks in a file on my computer, just in case?
Yes, using SendSX or MidiOX (or even the Editor).
(I am a midiot and only somewhat computer functional)
Anybody willing to adopt me long enough to get me through all this?
Ask away, and everyone will help.

Thanks folks
You're welcome.

So just the firmware is the syx file 7_06 472KB

Starts with F0 00 00 7D Ends with 00 0B 02 F7

When viewed in midi-ox SysEx view?
Is that it?

Very good answer to my post btw!

Thanks

dakotadv said:
So just the firmware is the syx file 7_06 472KB

Starts with F0 00 00 7D Ends with 00 0B 02 F7

When viewed in midi-ox SysEx view?
Is that it?

Very good answer to my post btw!

Thanks
Well, I just looked at the Ultra version of the firmware update, and yes it starts and ends as per your text above. Not sure if you need the standard or Ultra version, and whether the standard version starts and ends the same way...

By the way, the process for updating the firmware is very well documented (just do a search). It is well worth the time to get this straight, so do yourself a favor, read up on it, follow the instructions, read the release notes to avoid surprises, and it should be smooth sailing.

[EDIT]: here's a quick overview using SendSX viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4595&p=44927#p44927 ... for MidiOx, you'll need to search the forum

Unless you are gigging within a day or two of the firmware update, I'd update the fractal's firmware as soon as it's released. Although some of the updates result in subtle changes, I've always preferred to stay current on firmware. Since I don't use very many stock presets, I generally don't update preset banks along with firmware.

I use the Edirol 101 and it works fine. I didn't catch if you're using Mac or PC. I use a Mac. I use the Sysex Librarian to transfer firmware and preset banks to the fractal. The process is quite simple...

With a Mac...Down load the file, once complete, right click and open with sysex librarian. Insure that the fractal is connected to the edirol. select the file in sysex librarian, select device as "plug 1" (that's going out to the fractal).

For Firmware - you'll need to press utility and page over to firmware screen then select enter. Then select the file in the sysex librarian and press play

For preset banks - select file in sysex librarian and press play.

Hope this helps!

It's that easy. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom