Finally having the chance to play the Axe III through a tube PA and guitar cab...

axes

Experienced
... and the experience is nothing short of stellar!
I finally got the (all-tube) Fryette LX II along with a (solid state) TC BAM200 as a comparison point. The Fryette sounds much better and feels much more organic but the BAM gets closer than the price difference would suggest.
The really big thing that I had to understand with this PA + cab setup is the necessity of having (and managing) realistic expectations. I've used a 100 watt Plexi in the bedroom before without any attenuation and I knew i shouldn't even try to get it above 1 on both volumes. Instead I'd just jumper the channels, plug into the low input and use it as a pedal platform which it's also amazing for and got fantastic tones out of it. With the Axe it's very different since I can run both volumes on 6 (or even 10 for that matter) and can still set the volume to be comfortable through the PA. However I have to keep in mind when doing that that in real life the tone I get in that state is something I'd only get with BIG stage volumes and tremendous air movement. So it's a kind of skewed and unrealistic scenario I'm forcing myself into and obviously can't expect a similar boldness and richness than with the real life version.
That being said, everything I've heard so far was nothing short of amazing and truly groundbreaking. Running into the LX II and a cab is now my absolute favorite way of using my Axe because it gives me tube dynamics, sound quality and the ridiculous versatility I can get from the Axe. I'm literally selling all my tube amp heads at this point because I'm just simply more interested in expanding this setup with different PAs, cabs (more like different speakers) and a huge variety of guitars.

was just checking out the Syn50/50 vs the Fryette LXII this weekend! (I saw Doug (Vai's tech) using an LXII with Vai's module through a couple rented (Marshall) 412's) with Dante's FM3 on the floor providing signal split and EFX (IIRC)
what kind of cab and what size of cab are you using?

was just checking out the Syn50/50 vs the Fryette LXII this weekend! (I saw Doug (Vai's tech) using an LXII with Vai's module through a couple rented (Marshall) 412's) with Dante's FM3 on the floor providing signal split and EFX (IIRC)
what kind of cab and what size of cab are you using?
I'm using a 4x12 V30 and a 2x12 V30+T75. Both sound stellar through this setup. I'm looking get a 4x12 Greenback and 2x12 Creamback cab, too, and I have two EV12Ls ready to install in another 2x12. I also have two matching 2x12 V30 cabs on the way for proper stereo.

... and the experience is nothing short of stellar!
I finally got the (all-tube) Fryette LX II along with a (solid state) TC BAM200 as a comparison point. The Fryette sounds much better and feels much more organic but the BAM gets closer than the price difference would suggest.
The really big thing that I had to understand with this PA + cab setup is the necessity of having (and managing) realistic expectations. I've used a 100 watt Plexi in the bedroom before without any attenuation and I knew i shouldn't even try to get it above 1 on both volumes. Instead I'd just jumper the channels, plug into the low input and use it as a pedal platform which it's also amazing for and got fantastic tones out of it. With the Axe it's very different since I can run both volumes on 6 (or even 10 for that matter) and can still set the volume to be comfortable through the PA. However I have to keep in mind when doing that that in real life the tone I get in that state is something I'd only get with BIG stage volumes and tremendous air movement. So it's a kind of skewed and unrealistic scenario I'm forcing myself into and obviously can't expect a similar boldness and richness than with the real life version.
That being said, everything I've heard so far was nothing short of amazing and truly groundbreaking. Running into the LX II and a cab is now my absolute favorite way of using my Axe because it gives me tube dynamics, sound quality and the ridiculous versatility I can get from the Axe. I'm literally selling all my tube amp heads at this point because I'm just simply more interested in expanding this setup with different PAs, cabs (more like different speakers) and a huge variety of guitars.

Quelle suprise! it sounds like an amp in the room.

One of my pet peeves of fusty reviewers on youtube along with "Oh it its got too many options" (I have used my axefx as a plug and play unit for practice for months. I havent touched the settings once. I just plug into my patch bay and turn it on) is the "it just sounds like a recorded version of an amp instead of an amp in the room".

Yeah ok then maybe set it up like an amp in the room and try it instead of setting it up like a mic'ed up amp in an isobooth.

/rant

I am glad you are enjoying it.

Quelle suprise! it sounds like an amp in the room.

One of my pet peeves of fusty reviewers on youtube along with "Oh it its got too many options" (I have used my axefx as a plug and play unit for practice for months. I havent touched the settings once. I just plug into my patch bay and turn it on) is the "it just sounds like a recorded version of an amp instead of an amp in the room".

Yeah ok then maybe set it up like an amp in the room and try it instead of setting it up like a mic'ed up amp in an isobooth.

/rant

I am glad you are enjoying it.
Truer words have never been spoken Sir :)

I have a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 connected to a Friedman 4 x 12. I haven't really tried it out yet, I only verified it is connected correctly and that it is working. I look fwd to getting into it.

Mainly, I use Dynaudio LYD 48 3 way monitors and a Dynaudio 18s subwoofer. Optionally, also a pair of Adam a5x monitors for some rear fill. I figure it's good to have flexibility. Keeps things interesting. This is a bedroom rig by the way.

Back
Top Bottom