Filters

Jtroop

I noticed all the factory presets have a low pass filter set at 20K. If you are running into a FRFR or PA system with the FM9, you should set low and high pass, correct?

I noticed all the factory presets have a low pass filter set at 20K. If you are running into a FRFR or PA system with the FM9, you should set low and high pass, correct?
It's not a bad idea to set them, not all sound guys will have the cuts on the FOH board. I use the cab block preamp page to set them, Low Cut @ 120Hz and High Cut @ 8.5kHz.

Are you talking about the High Cut in the Cab block or something else?

There's no "correct", only what sounds good... Although many people will adjust both high and low cut in the Cab block.

For my part I play on FrFr I use these settings on the CAB block

I've noticed high and low cuts can be used in multiple locations, i.e., the amp block, within the cab block you have the cab and preamp tabs as well. I do not have a spectrum Analyzer to tell (although it wouldn't surprise me if one is onboard this amazing unit), but does the location of where you make the high/low cuts effect the tone in various ways? I am going to assume in some technical sense that it does and if so, in what way is the tone effected?

I just received my FM9 two days ago and started using it yesterday. Coming from another digital modeler, I am quickly learning the FM9. Once I get a solid grasp, you can expect to see me contributing to answering 'newbie' questions.

Another question I have is, where is the best place to level presets. volumes? For example, I have the Phil Collen preset and a WT AC30 preset. The Collen preset has a much higher volume. So, I want to either lower the Collen one or raiser the WT AC30 one, and in doing one or the other, not affect the tone of the preset.

Last edited:
I've noticed high and low cuts can be used in multiple locations, i.e., the amp block, within the cab block you have the cab and preamp tabs as well. I do not have a spectrum Analyzer to tell (although it wouldn't surprise me if one is onboard this amazing unit), but does the location of where you make the high/low cuts effect the tone in various ways? I am going to assume in some technical sense that it does and if so, in what way is the tone effected?

I just received my FM9 two days ago and started using it yesterday. Coming from another digital modeler, I am quickly learning the FM9. Once I get a solid grasp, you can expect to see me contributing to answering 'newbie' questions.

Another question I have is, where is the best place to level presets. volumes? For example, I have the Phil Collen preset and a WT AC30 preset. The Collen preset has a much higher volume. So, I want to either lower the Collen one or raiser the WT AC30 one, and in doing one or the other, not affect the tone of the preset.
The cuts in the Cab block preamp make the most sense to me and I've been pleased with the results. I messed around with cuts in the amp block briefly but didn't really do any critical listening to see if there was a difference. It was more of a feel thing for me but I have no technical reasoning to support it.

As far as adjusting preset levels, the Level parameter in the Amp block is the most commonly used to set consistent volumes between presets. This is a big "use your ears, not your eyes" parameter. Depending upon the amp model, this value ranges from -22 to -6 in my presets. The Master Volume and Negative Feedback parameters in the Amp block are a couple that can cause a big difference in volume depending upon their settings from amp to amp.

Yes! explanation...

I am also in the camp of cutting in the cab block! It makes the most sense as the guitar cab for the most part is the filter in the real life counterpart!

I use the cab block to make adjustments depending on the amp type I'm using, tone I'm after or making sonic room to sit in a mix!. I generally start at 80hz on the low and highs anywhere from 6k out to 10k.

@Jtroop,

What FRFR do you own, or plan on using for PA? Certain FRFRs benefit from global EQing in order to make them sound like studio monitors. Others have better (read: flatter response curves) that provide clearer response without as much bass or treble coloring, designed to be like studio monitors themselves.

If you're using HeadRush 108 or 112 FRFRs, check this post for some work that @WKSmith did that provides improved FRFR EQing.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/flattening-the-headrush-curve.175796/

Be sure to view both included images as you scroll down to learn what settings are required.

EDIT: I see that you've already found this post. Carry on...😅

If you're using something else, you might need to wait a few months until more research is done with EQ response curves. Or, just invest in higher quality FRFRs if you can afford them.

Last edited:

A few more things to keep in mind, the output level can be adjusted per scene, per preset.
Use the handy tool for preset leveling in FM9-Edit, to help visualize your levels.

For EQ, I start with cab block Lo cut ~80hz Hi cut ~5500hz.

@Jtroop,

What FRFR do you own, or plan on using for PA? Certain FRFRs benefit from global EQing in order to make them sound like studio monitors. Others have better (read: flatter response curves) that provide clearer response without as much bass or treble coloring, designed to be like studio monitors themselves.

If you're using HeadRush 108 or 112 FRFRs, check this post for some work that @WKSmith did that provides improved FRFR EQing.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/flattening-the-headrush-curve.175796/

Be sure to view both included images as you scroll down to learn what settings are required.

EDIT: I see that you've already found this post. Carry on...😅

If you're using something else, you might need to wait a few months until more research is done with EQ response curves. Or, just invest in higher quality FRFRs if you can afford them.
Yeah, I found that thread and made the PEQ adjustments. I have one HR 108 and a Line 6 Powercab. I haven't spent a ton of time with the PC, but I wish I'd bought a Red Sound Elis 8 instead. I can't get the PC to sound good unless the volume is at window shattering levels. I will work with it some more, I first wanted to upgrade modelers (done), then work on the 108.

A few more things to keep in mind, the output level can be adjusted per scene, per preset.
Use the handy tool for preset leveling in FM9-Edit, to help visualize your levels.

For EQ, I start with cab block Lo cut ~80hz Hi cut ~5500hz.

Might be a dumb question, how do I get to the handy tool?

At the top of the editor see Tools, click for the drop down menu, see Preset Leveling near the top. ;)
Cool thanks! Are you running into an FRFR? If so, which one? Even with using the flattening EQ for the 108, I'm still getting a somewhat nasally tone. Maybe you just have to have mids lower for the 108

Cool thanks! Are you running into an FRFR? If so, which one? Even with using the flattening EQ for the 108, I'm still getting a somewhat nasally tone. Maybe you just have to have mids lower for the 108

I have the HR 108's. I use to use them live for monitoring before the EQ curve was known.
Now I use IEM and have 1 at the church just in case I need it for anything. I have the EQ curve set ON at Output 2, just in case.
But the electric guitars are mostly silent stage. We can still use FRFR or amps if we want.
I'm trying to have the best tone, with the least weight to carry.

Yeah, I found that thread and made the PEQ adjustments. I have one HR 108 and a Line 6 Powercab. I haven't spent a ton of time with the PC, but I wish I'd bought a Red Sound Elis 8 instead. I can't get the PC to sound good unless the volume is at window shattering levels. I will work with it some more, I first wanted to upgrade modelers (done), then work on the 108.
Concur. Also been wondering about some QSC CP8s; they're a step down from the K8.2's, but more affordable. Will work with the HR108 EQ curve for the present and may postpone any significant purchases until after tax refunds. Have got a car tax bill due in January that takes precedence.

I would not presume that a FRFR requires low or high cut, even though many of us use them. The models themselves have these already, largely as a part of the CAB response curves.

I cut lows and highs as a way to fit in a band mix, not because the FRFR response is overly-broad. One of the beautiful things about the wide frequency response of an FRFR is that you don't have to fight the lower-frequency phase shift that inevitably comes with a narrow-response monitor.

I would not presume that a FRFR requires low or high cut, even though many of us use them. The models themselves have these already, largely as a part of the CAB response curves.

I cut lows and highs as a way to fit in a band mix, not because the FRFR response is overly-broad. One of the beautiful things about the wide frequency response of an FRFR is that you don't have to fight the lower-frequency phase shift that inevitably comes with a narrow-response monitor.
Interesting....good to know.

Back
Top Bottom