Fender Passport 250 Deluxe (mini review)

stratcat

Inspired
I have a love/hate relationship with the Fender Passport series... and to be honest it's skewed towards the latter.

We've had a 150 for a few years and my wife uses this to do wedding ceremony gigs. On balance she uses the 'standard' model which had a bit more bottom end than the deluxe, although lacks the top end sparkle of the deluxe. Guitar-wise, I have nothing nice to say about either.

The 250 Deluxe though I'm a little surprised with and actually like (!). Has a decent sound to it, perhaps a little wooly in the very bottom end but overall sounds quite good. Good match for either acoustic or electric guitar duties and plays well with the AxeFx. Stereo too. It worked well with the nylon string and a piezo equipped electric both running through the Axe... aside from the nylon/piezo I had a few different combinations of clean and mild/mid overdrive going and it worked well and sounded quite good.

Will require a bit of tweaking going forward, but I'm surprised (and a little disturbed) with how well AxeFx sounds that are set up for my Nexo PA rig went across with no modification and still sounded good (and actually better in some cases!!!). I was really determined not to like it too!

Not sure it would suit all styles though - as a FRFR for metal use I'd think twice as it probably doesn't have the power and I'm not sure the bass response is where it needs to be for some styles.

Now, it comes in at about 45 pounds so is pushing the boundaries of portability. But for a self-contained and almost plug and play stereo rig that you can get the guitar and a few other things into I think it's pretty cool. For FRFR monitoring you'd need to sort out something to prop the speakers up too (stands may not be practical unless it's doubling as a PA system at the same time and these speakers don't easily operate as floor monitors).

Also good for an alternative to a larger PA system when you have smaller gigs and/or can't be bothered with the big rig.

In short, a handy rig to have, seems to work well with the AxeFx and a pretty good sound for the price point. Worth trying out.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom