Fender FR-12 or Red Sound Elis 8?

Suhrbanez

I'm looking at either buying an FR-12, or get a deal where I get a pair of Red Sound Elis 8's, but I'd only take 1 Elis 8 out to jam, which will sound better? (I'm new to FRFR).

Also, any ideas how a pair of Elis 8's would go at home compared to my Presonus Eris E5's?

The Elis.8 can put out decent volume. But, I would actually say to go with the FR-12. Then you're sure to have sufficient volume. Try to find one that has the hiss fix. A bonus of the Fenders is that they have a line out, and the EQ is very beneficial.

You would probably find that the Elis.8s sound like high end monitors, though they're definitely not limited to near-field use.

I have a pair of FR-12s, newer ones without the hiss issue. Of all of the monitoring options I have tried through the years, these are my absolute favorite. I’ve done QSC K10s, Line 6 Powercabs, straight into various guitar cabs, straight into the PA, and studio monitors.

My band did a gig at a private party on a small lake last weekend, and I brought just one FR-12 for monitoring myself, with another line into the PA. I had the output on my Axe-FX around noon or so, and the output on the FR-12 at around 10:00 and I had enough juice to overpower the stage volume if I maxed out the volume on the expression pedal, it generally stayed at around 60% or so. Just great little amps for the application.

I've been looking at the Fender FR-12 and the Laney LFR-112, considering which would be best for my use with the AxeFX III. Has anyone done a comparison among them?

Back
Top Bottom