Feels like crazy output from XLRs - cannot record

RobFerg

Hi All

First time user and poster...

FM3 was working well - recording on DAW through a Komplete Audio 6 interface

But now I cannot get a useful sound through my FM3 XLRs - it seems to overload the signal in the DAW producing only crackly / fuzzy sound and the input levels on the laptop screen are in the red even when I'm not playing

Headphone output works fine - I can play through headphones on the FM3 itself

Ive tried different leads, even bought a different digital interface but get the same result

Ive been on YouTube - trying to reset input / output levels - nothing works
Any ideas please?

If I turn the physical output knob on FM3 down nothing changes.

Ive tried output levels at both -10 and +4 on the I/O menu on FM3.

I've tried interface set at both levels and no change.
Same with the front panel knob (the small round knob I think you mean? There are two?)

If I turn the physical output knob on FM3 down nothing changes.

Ive tried output levels at both -10 and +4 on the I/O menu on FM3.

I've tried interface set at both levels and no change.
Same with the front panel knob (the small round knob I think you mean? There are two?)
Nothing? Like the volume of your guitar doesnt turn down?

Nothing? Like the volume of your guitar doesnt turn down?
No... I don't always hear a guitar sound, so that doesn't really change
What I do hear very low can be like a cycling sound and a sort of fuzzy /crackle noise
And the intake on the 2i2 is always showing input even when Im not playing or when the FM3 control knob is right down

OK - MY BAD!!!! :0)

Thanks to Chris and unix-guy for replying... I gave up and went to bed early to watch YouTube "how to" videos... nothing that helped - even read the manual again (this time ALL the words!)... a few thoughts but nothing that changed the situation...

UNTIL....

I thought: I've changed NOTHING on the FM3 since it last worked... aha! I HAD loaded a new DAW (Logic Pro - which I haven't worked out yet, so I was playing with GarageBand, my old DAW)... and guess what? GarageBand DOESN'T want to play anymore - seems like it's vomiting up anything I send into the tracks - so I watched a quick tutorial about Logic Pro and fired her up... MAGIC - everything working as it did / like a charm!

I'm relatively new to digital recording - there are SO MANY THINGS that can be "not quite right"...!!! I was pretty sure it wasn't the FM3 though - I've just bought it new 3 months ago and it sits on my recording desk very happily. But it was the next thing on my list after I bought a brand new 2i2 Get 4 to replace the Komplete Audio 6 I assumed was stuffing up first... well, don't tell the wife, but I've been wanting a newer interface for a while - so no real harm done! :0)

I'm posting this as a cautionary tale to other newbies out there.

Back
Top Bottom