Feedback like Ring on Tele

slinky005

Power User
Just bought an American Ultra Tele.
Using strictly with headphones.
When I play it thru the Axe at high gain - (mostly evident using drives) I've got a feedback like ringing on the open G string when strumming then muting.
If I lightly put my finger over all the strings above the nut it doesn't ring.
Other than sticking something up there to stop the vibration, is there something that can be done?

Last edited:
Pop the string out of the nut slot and make sure nothing is in there.

Maybe add a small amount of lube?

Not sure that will help but it might.

My tele does the same thing. It’s a cheap squire contemporary tele I bought for a project. @unix-guy always has good suggestions. I’d start there

I chalked it up to a cheaper guitar even though the nut is cut decently and has the right height…

Ended up putting a hair tie around the neck as a very light dampener and that annoying sound went away.

That's got a string tree on it, right? (Pic from Fender's website has one) If so, you might check to see if the screw is tight or if there's something there, maybe debris or a spur or a plating crack. Try putting some lube on the tree, too, not just the nut. Or, take it off, which is fine as long as the strings don't pop out of the nut.

If damping the strings between the nut and the tuners with your hand stops the "ringing" sound, maybe try one of the many string dampers out there. The ones I've seen are basically a small bit of towel with an elastic core. They're often used on the fretboard side of the nut to keep open strings from ringing out, but you can probably find one that would work on the tuner side.

Back
Top Bottom