FCB1010 Phantom Power

alchemist

I just wanted to relay my experiences in getting phantom power to the FCB1010 with a minimal amount of fuss. There are a few websites out there showing you how to do it, and on the cheap. I did some research, and came to the conclusion that for me, I needed:

* a solution that was relatively easy to implement and install
* did not involve any cosmetic mods to the FCB1010
* can be completely de-installed with no adverse effects
* did not have to be dirt cheap, since I got the FCB1010 already for cheap -- $99 new but blemished (but not a scratch on it!)

I found a great solution. I ended up buying a PCB from here:

http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/ ... dproduct=1

This allows powering the unit from the MIDI port, but will auto sense the phantom power and ac line power and switch to the phantom supply whenever it is present. No extra switch! Directions for the install are amazingly easy and it doesn't take a lot of time. The only main issue was where to solder the DC power from the PCB to the MIDI connector in the FCB1010. I found it easier to remove the small connector board and solder power/gnd to the pins coming from underneath the board (this was mentioned in the instructions I think).

Once this is done, there are a few things you can do to power it. I found the easiest is to buy a MIDI cable adapter (also from DMV Electronics). You connect one end to the Axe-Fx, and the other end you connect a standard 5-pin MIDI cable (making sure it passes all 5 wires thru). The other end of the standard MIDI cable goes to the FCB1010. You then get an AC adapter, 9VDC 500 mA power supply (center positive). The barrel size depends on the MIDI cable adapter you have which can supply the power. For the above at DMV Electronics, an adapter like this works well:

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/produc ... ts_id=1373
2.5mm (center pin diameter), 5.5mm (outer diameter), 13mm (length).

The power is supplied into the jack coming from the MIDI cable adapter.

Once you have this setup, you never need to use a 7-pin MIDI to 5-pin MIDI cable or connect any power to the Axe-Fx. I found the latter cable hard to find (Rocktron cable does not work). I like this solution because I can use any length, standard 5-pin MIDI cable to the FCB1010 -- not some custom 7-pin to 5-pin cable. The MIDI adapter cable is the key which makes this all work.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this solution. It is very neat and clean. In fact, if you opened up the unit, you would think that this is a stock solution ... the PCB fits in an area which is perfect.

Cheers ...

Ok, I got hold of a fcb1010 that is meant to have the cheap mod done and I must admit, I'm a bit confused with the reading I've been doing. I was under the impression that all I'd have to do is make the midi connection between the Fractal and fcb1010 and it'll be all powered like what used to happen with my old Digitech 2101 and 2120 setups and my VG99 setup via ethernet. But this doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't understand where the power transformer (wallwart) comes into play. If I've got the cheap mod done, how do I get it to work with the Fractal? Do I need to use that small 'phantom power' hole above the midi in on the Fractal somehow? I've also read about 5 to 7 pin adapters???

Any help appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom