FC6 Switch settings also change the FM3 Switch settings

Polluxx

Hi guys,

I need your help
Whenever I configure the FC6 buttons, the switch setting on the FM3 also changes. I have actually taken everything into account but I just can't get it to work.
Isn't it right that both devices have their own views within a layout?
The FC6 two and FM3 four

or am I making a complete mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
The FM3+FC6 relies on some slight-of-hand.

Before trying to invent your own layout, I’d highly recommend switching to the OMG9 layout that’s built-in and play with it for a week and see if it meets your needs. Then start peeking into how it’s designed and programmed. It’s a very powerful combination of layouts, courtesy of @Admin M@.

As hints, the deeper magic is the result of using layout-links, and the FM3 only uses one layout, the 8th one. And, there’s a nice discussion of it in the back of the FM3 manual. Footswitch Functions Guide Is essential reading too.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I need your help
I finally received my fc6 today and I'm going crazy during the setup. Whenever I configure the FC6 buttons, the switch setting on the FM3 also changes. I have actually taken everything into account but I just can't get it to work.
Isn't it right that both devices have their own views within a layout?
The FC6 two and FM3 four

or am I making a complete mistake?
There are 9 layouts. Both devices share those same 9 layouts.

Easiest is to have FM3 on say Layout 1 and FC on Layout 2.

Next would be having FM3 on its View 4 of Layout 1 and FC on its View 1 of Layout 1.

12 switches in a layout.
FM3 has 4 views (groups of 3, 3x4 is 12)
FC6 has 2 views (groups of 6, 6x2 is 12)

This means view 1 and 2 of FM3 are the same switches in View 1 of the FC6
View 3 and 4 of the FM3 are the same switches as View 2 of the FC6.

Just have to not reference the same switches in the Layout to have different assignments visible.

What I want is actually quite simple, I just want to assign scenes to 8 buttons, i.e. two on the FM3 and 6 on the fc 6, on view 2 of the FC6 I want to display 6 presets, if I can do that I'll start the rest of my wishes too. However, I can't get it to work, I imagined it would be much easier.
Does it make sense to install OMG9 and then make adjustments? Will it work then?

What I want is actually quite simple, I just want to assign scenes to 8 buttons, i.e. two on the FM3 and 6 on the fc 6, on view 2 of the FC6 I want to display 6 presets, if I can do that I'll start the rest of my wishes too. However, I can't get it to work, I imagined it would be much easier.
Does it make sense to install OMG9 and then make adjustments? Will it work then?

Layout 1 should have ONLY what you want on the fm3. in the drop down menu on the left, do "display as" and pick the FM3. In the editor above the switches don't select anything. Select "edit in fm3"

Layout 2 should have ONLY what you want on the FC6, in the drop down menu do "display as" and pick FC6. In the editor above the switchs, select FC1 and push that button in so it's yellow

Instead of using another view, use layout 3 for the presets. Put your presets here and then have a way to toggle between layout 2 and 3 on the fc 6

Last edited:
As @chris points out --- the FM3 (/Axe-Fx/FM9) does not have enough memory dedicated to layouts for the unit itself and the connected FC controller to have their own. You get nine layouts period, to be used across both devices.

Have a look at SETUP > FC CONTROLLERS > Devices

Here, you can not only select the current layout on your FM3 and your FC6, but also set the layout for each of them that should be loaded on startup.

If you want them to show separate settings, you must decide how you want things to work. Map that out as follows:

FM3: Two scenes and a tuner. (Build this in Layout 1 and set the FM3 to boot to layout 1)

FC6: Six Scenes plus a "view 2" press/hold to get to six presets and a "View 1" press/hold. (Build this in Layout 2 and set the FC-6 to boot to layout 2)

...or whatever it is you want.

Use layout 1 for the FM3 and layout 2 for the FC6.

There are 9 layouts. Both devices share those same 9 layouts.

Easiest is to have FM3 on say Layout 1 and FC on Layout 2.

Next would be having FM3 on its View 4 of Layout 1 and FC on its View 1 of Layout 1.

12 switches in a layout.
FM3 has 4 views (groups of 3, 3x4 is 12)
FC6 has 2 views (groups of 6, 6x2 is 12)

This means view 1 and 2 of FM3 are the same switches in View 1 of the FC6
View 3 and 4 of the FM3 are the same switches as View 2 of the FC6.

Just have to not reference the same switches in the Layout to have different assignments visible.
Wow, very well explained, I understand that.
So that means you can only use 1 view with fm3 and fc6?
That's very annoying for the price you pay

No. It means use different layouts for different devices for the most flexibility. There are 8 you can use freely out of the 9.

Default layouts are made for the device alone. Adding the FC6 is now custom and you can really just blank the layouts to make your own setup.

Use layout 1 for the FM3 and you have 4 views there for all 12 switches.

Use Layout 2 for the FC6 and you have 2 views for all 12 switches.

BACKWARDS. You can only use one view on the FC-12.

On the FM3, each layout has four views.
On the FC6, each layout has two views.

Again -- all because the available memory for Layouts is relatively small. These runarounds are ways to maximize its use.

As @chris points out --- the FM3 (/Axe-Fx/FM9) does not have enough memory dedicated to layouts for the unit itself and the connected FC controller to have their own. You get nine layouts period, to be used across both devices.

Have a look at SETUP > FC CONTROLLERS > Devices

Here, you can not only select the current layout on your FM3 and your FC6, but also set the layout for each of them that should be loaded on startup.

If you want them to show separate settings, you must decide how you want things to work. Map that out as follows:

FM3: Two scenes and a tuner. (Build this in Layout 1 and set the FM3 to boot to layout 1)

FC6: Six Scenes plus a "view 2" press/hold to get to six presets and a "View 1" press/hold. (Build this in Layout 2 and set the FC-6 to boot to layout 2)

...or whatever it is you want.
Thank you

But when i config the 6 Presets to view 2 on fc6
I overwrite view 4 from FM3 at the same time

That's because you're not understanding how it works, it's extremely "elegant" in the programming sense of the word, AKA "sensible and efficient".

Playing with OMG9 will show you how smart, "elegant", the design really is. It's just that underneath it is a very thoughtful implementation that's almost like using our two hands to do entirely different things at the same time, and understanding that is an "AHA!" moment. It took me a couple hours, over a couple days, and some time to mull it over in my head then it clicked. Now I have my own spins of how it works for my FM3+FC6, a minor variation on the FM9, and another on the FC12 connected to my FX3. Knowing the concepts makes it really easy and flexible.

Again, read "FM3 + FC6 = OMG9!" in the back of the FM3 manual and it'll make more sense. This note from the manual is key:
EXPERT TIP: This setup relies on a simple trick. The FM3 itself stays “parked” on only Layout 8. Aside from the tuner, none of the switches in layout 8 do anything on the FM3. You might imagine that they would therefore use the “Unassigned” function, but this would disable their custom colors, custom names, and the essential “Layout Links” used to switch the FC-6. Instead, the FM3 switches change the View in Layout 8 — the very layout they are contained in! This also allows the FM3 to use bright/dim LED rings to show the state of the FC-6.

Last edited:
I have now installed OMG and played around a bit, but it's not what I need. Then I did another reset and started configuring again. Strangely enough, it works now, I can assign the same views in the other layouts without overwriting. What is the reason for this?
The only thing I did differently is that I did not select FM3 or FC in edit

I have now installed OMG and played around a bit, but it's not what I need. Then I did another reset and started configuring again. Strangely enough, it works now, I can assign the same views in the other layouts without overwriting. What is the reason for this?
The only thing I did differently is that I did not select FM3 or FC in edit
I don’t fully understand this but if the Fm and Fc are in different Layouts, that explains it.

I put them in different layouts, but I had that before too. Now each layout has its own views
And I can link from layout to layout

I put them in different layouts, but I had that before too. Now each layout has its own views
And I can link from layout to layout
what may be happening:

under the Layout Name in FM3-Edit, there are little boxes that say FM3 FC1 FC2. when you click them they turn yellow.FM3-Edit-2020-02-11-13-33-04-1024x775.png

if they are yellow, it changes those devices to respond exactly what you're doing in Edit. if both FM3 and FC1 were yellow, that explains why your changes affected both. with both yellow, changing to Layout 2 for example would change both the FM and FC to Layout 2 and then further edits would of course happen on both as well.

this is called "Show edits on..." and with anything being yellow, the actions you take in the editor will be shown on that device. useful for some situations, not useful for others.

after rebooting, perhaps the FC1 was suddenly not selected/yellow, maybe both.

i usually have those both unselected/not yellow when adjusting things.

That was exactly my assumption, but before I always had the device active that I edited, so I paid close attention to it. Now I don't have any of them on and it works, possibly a bug in FM3.

Anyway, thank you guys, you are always very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom