Wish FC12 Screen

Cooldrewb

Inspired
I think it would be cool if in the future the FC12 had a screen on it like the FM9 or FM3. It would be nice to be able to look down and see everything right there at your feet.
1637250184896.png

I think it would be cool if in the future the FC12 had a screen on it like the FM9 or FM3. It would be nice to be able to look down and see everything right there at your feet.
View attachment 91819

Once upon a time Cliff said:
"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation."

To have a much larger panel on the FC12, and presumably the FC6, they'd have to break that consistent reuse and add additional depth to the chassis of the FC12 and FC6. That'd eat into the savings they gain by having common sizes.

Sending additional information for a screen like that would impact the update speed of the controller via FASLink. How much? I dunno, but moving colored text and font-size information does have a cost. It'd also cause a break in the product line because current FM9/FM3/FX3 don't know how to talk to a panel like that via FASLink so the firmware would have to be expanded to incorporate the new feature. I'm happy having that information on the FM9 or FM3 at my feet and don't see a need to have it added to my FC6 or FC12 too. Would you rather have that, or maybe new amp models, some new delays, etc?

Personally I don’t want a large screen of the floor where some drunken punter can tread or drop their beer bottle on it.

Personally I don’t want a large screen of the floor where some drunken punter can tread or drop their beer bottle on it.

And that's why for me there's also a NO-NO for touchscreens. Sure, for a desktop unit it could be handy, but for a floor unit NEVER, you'd want to be as tough as possible, and a touchscreen fail would be a nightmare.

Back to topic:

I've had my Axe's screen failing and went through my dealer's support and they arranged a replacement, also told me it was a good thing my Axe was still under warranty because it would be an expensive fix, so I just don't think it would be a "just $100" upgrade at all (and redesigning the hardware and software).

Back
Top Bottom