FC-6 as Midi Controller

soundbee

Hi

I recently got an FM3 (loving it) and would like to use an FC-6 as an add-on... but not so much for the FM3, but more to send midi to Ableton Live and other apps. I see that I can possibly do this with "Control Switches" and a midi payload ... but that's limited to only 6 - and would like to use both tap and hold functions for different commands. I'd also like to use an expression pedal (Mission SP1) for various functions. Keeping in mind that the FC-6 would be used mostly for commands and not much for the FM3, Is this even possible? If so, can someone point me to what this setup might look like and references in the manuals?

Thank you in advance!
- Kevin

In addition to 6 global Control Switches that can send 4 MIDI messages each, you can also use the Scene MIDI block: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Scene_MIDI_block. The Scene MIDI block will allow you to send up to 8 MIDI messages each time you change to a different scene. You can have one of those blocks in each preset.

Keep in mind that you change scenes and trigger the control switches using tap or hold functions on the FM3 switches, FC6 switches and external switches. In other words, the functionality of both the Scene MIDI block and Control Switches is independent of how you go about triggering that functionality.

More details on the Scene MIDI block can be found on page 84 of the Blocks Guide.

@TFC thanks for the response and reference on the Scene MIDI Block... so what if my goal is to control Ableton with the FC-6 and not "change" anything sound-wise on the FM3 what it seems like is:
  • Supposing that I don't have any changes happening in scenes (same amp, delays, etc..) then there should be no gap in sound (eg. if I'm holding a chord)
  • Using the Scene MIDI Block would allow me to send out 8 midi action, and I could use 4 Control Switch commands = for a total of 12 which could be assigned to each of the tap and hold functions on the FC-6
That could work for my immediate needs. However, where I'll probably run into issues is with the pedal states - for example: even if I used the "Scene Revert" option this only works when going back to a scene. So if I were on scene 1 and turned on a delay block and then trigger scene 2 in order to send my trigger, then that delay may would not stay active (but would be active if I went back to scene 1).

I'm really trying to JUST pass midi commands out of the unit using an FC-6. Any thoughts?

• Yes, if you're not changing sounds with a change of scene, there won't be a gap in sound.
  • I don't know if you can send 12 MIDI messages (control switch [4] + scene MIDI [8]) with one tap or hold of a footswitch, but that may be possible. I seem to recall some way of performing more than one action like that, e.g. scene change and control switch, but I've never done it and I can't remember where (if?) I read it. Someone else can probably speak to that.
Yeah, I agree on the problem of scenes and pedal states. No solution for that comes to mind at the moment. That's the price you'd pay for using the Scene MIDI block not quite as it was intended.

Maybe something like a Morningstar MC6 instead of or in addition to an FC6 would work for what you're looking to do?

So it sounds like until/unless Fractal adds outgoing midi functions directly to foot switches and expression inputs, I'm probably setting myself up for some heartbreak.

I've got an MC8 .. twas hoping to streamline some cables ... and have something purdier to look at.

Back
Top Bottom