FC-12 Unused Effects Locations

TenorKeith

Inspired
I was wondering if the AxeFx/FC-12 can read a preset and only show or assign the effects switches to effects that actually exist in that preset. There are a lot of wasted switches showing effects that are not even in use in any given preset. I have searched, but did not see an answer to this. Sorry if it has been covered previously. I would just like to see only the relevant effects in a preset. Thanks!!

Maybe adding empty per preset switches? But I agree, it could be great not having to assign them manually and still have an uncluttered layout.

What order or where would the effects go if it did it automatically?

Early versions of the FX8 did this and it appeared on the footswitches in the order of the grid left to right (actually assigning footswitches was the way you added effects, there was no grid). It was “automatic” but was confusing when drive was on switch 1 in a preset, then switch 3 in another preset.

Switch assignments are “global” unless you use per preset switches and define them per preset.

Reactions: Rex
Honestly, I really don't know how to answer that. I did own a Helix once, and for the most part the buttons were always assigned only to the effects that were present in a preset. It may not have been automatic, but it certainly was a snap to assign them. With the Axe, there is always wasted real estate, and I just wish there was a way to have it populate the switches with what's actually being used. I don't own the Helix anymore, which should tell you which one I'd rather use, it's just a wish.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the AxeFx/FC-12 can read a preset and only show or assign the effects switches to effects that actually exist in that preset. There are a lot of wasted switches showing effects that are not even in use in any given preset. I have searched, but did not see an answer to this. Sorry if it has been covered previously. I would just like to see only the relevant effects in a preset. Thanks!!
It won't automatically adjust the layout based on blocks in the grid.

I got tired of having empty switches in the Effects layout, so I switched to defining Per-Preset Overrides for the blocks I want to be able to optionally enable/disable, then using the Per-Preset layout instead of the Effects layout. That way, every preset's defined Per-Preset assignments will automatically show up on the related foot switch.

I'm also in control of their order on the switches because it's based on the order of the assignments.

An alternative is to assign Per-Presets, then assign overrides per preset and use the Effects layout and then assign the overrides to switches in that layout. I decided that having to do this final step was more work than switching to using the Per-Preset layout. YMMV.

i think this request comes up a lot for people going through the Factory Presets. they want to just turn all the things on an off as they try the unfamiliar presets, and the default effects may not match up.

we could program Per-Preset definitions for those, but the user would have to go to the correct Layout to see them. we'd also have to determine what goes where for all 4 sizes of FCs: 3, 6, 9 and 12 switches.

ultimately it may not be what people prefer and they would have to change it anyway. probably "why is reverb on switch 1 in all factory presets??? it makes no sense!!!"

not sure it would be very beneficial to do so, and really the goal is to customize things for yourself with the logic that only the user can determine. so eh.

we could program Per-Preset definitions for those, but the user would have to go to the correct Layout to see them. we'd also have to determine what goes where for all 4 sizes of FCs: 3, 6, 9 and 12 switches.
The base FM3 gets awkward, but everything works great with the FM3+FC6, FM9 and FX3+FC12 using the Preset layout(s). I've been really happy because I can move the preset across the different units and don't have to fuss with the layouts.

I think the Effects layout is nice for people who expect their pedal board to always have effect X on switch 1, etc., but I'm more the type that wants the primary effects or parameters for a particular preset to be in the first switches, and less used things are toward the end. I know they're there, I'm just less likely to want to step on them. It's great that the modeler has this flexibility.

I'm attaching my versions of the OMG9 and OFM9G layouts because there are some minor changes.
  • Bank Size is 5 for both units.
  • On the FM3+FC6 the Hold on the internal switches 1 and 3 move to the previous and next banks, scenes or Per-Preset displays. On the FM9 switch 6's tap and hold accomplish the same thing for Presets.
  • Selecting a preset will automatically switch to the Scenes layout.
  • The tuner is available as the Hold function on switch 9 when the Tap-Tempo is visible on the FM3+FC6. On the FM9 it's on switch 9 also, but that switch gets reused for moving between the "Effects" in the Per-Preset layouts.

Attachments

• FM3+FC6 OMG9+ all-layouts_20231103_163612.fclayout.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FM9 OFM9G+ all-layouts_20231103_163645.fclayout.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom