FBT Verve 12ma vs Verve 15ma?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I may gonna mono with my FRFR rig, and I just wanted to check if anyone has ever tried the 15ma instead of the 12ma? I would be running only one monitor, and have my complete monitor mix in it ( keys, vocals, guitar, maybe bass ) and was wondering if I should step up to the 15ma? :)

In my experience 12`s always sounds better than 15`s for guitar.
Don`t ask me why though, our soundguy would probably have some long explanation hehe.
I just know what I like to hear.
But I have not tried the 15ma.
Only way I would consider the 15ma was if I was gonna run Drums, bass etc thru it as well.

Powers of Ten said:
Don`t ask me why though, our soundguy would probably have some long explanation hehe.
I just know what I like to hear.
But I have not tried the 15ma.
Only way I would consider the 15ma was if I was gonna run Drums, bass etc thru it as well.

I'm gonna run at least keyboard, vocals and guitar in it, and bass and kick-drum in bigger places. So it's alot of stuff compared to just guitar. I also like to crank it a bit :mrgreen:

Powers of Ten said:

Not only for guitar. Maybe the 15" will be better at moving lots of air for bass or kick but for anything else a 12" will sound better. Really noticable on vocals too.

S.R.

srooijens said:
Powers of Ten said:

Not only for guitar. Maybe the 15" will be better at moving lots of air for bass or kick but for anything else a 12" will sound better. Really noticable on vocals too.

S.R.

Why is that? I mean, is there any particular reason stuff other than kick and bass will sound worse through the 15ma? There is a crossover freq. so after a certain point it would matter right? :?

tonygtr said:
Why is that? I mean, is there any particular reason stuff other than kick and bass will sound worse through the 15ma? There is a crossover freq. so after a certain point it would matter right? :?

The problem is around and below the crossover frequency.
Yes, there is a crossover frequency but in 2-way 15" systems it is always too high.
The 15" should be crossed over lower but the compression driver/horn is not able to go low enough.

While the frequency response on-axis might seem okay for a lot of 15" speakers off-axis they get very nasty in the mid frequencies that are very critical for voice, guitar and many other instruments.

12" seems to be the largest driver size that can still work reasonably well in a 2-way system. A 12" can go up to about 1200Hz and still perform quite well (1500Hz is pushing a 12" to the edge IMO) altough smaller drivers still have their advantages. A 15" needs to be crossed over considerably lower than that to give good performance.

If I remember correctly Jay Mitchell once mentioned that he doesn't like to use any 15" at frequencies over 200Hz.
He knows what he's talking about when it comes to speakers.

A 15" 3-way could of course be a solution but a 3-way of good quality will be more expensive, bigger and heavier.
A time aligned coaxial 3-way is really making things a lot more complicated.

S.R.

Back
Top Bottom